PDA

View Full Version : Who's Going to Fill the EAL void???

bmiboyz
19th Mar 2004, 12:29
Anybody any ideas which airlines have the capacity at this stage in the game of finalising tour operator contracts to take over the EX EAL work?

They had certainly had a busy programme planned at MAN using the 737.

bacardi walla
19th Mar 2004, 12:46
Watch out for TITAN :confused:

stevobeevo
19th Mar 2004, 14:08
EAC haven't gone bust.

They've had a major shake up to reduce over heads. EAC will continue with a fleet of 5 or 6 737-200's operating from Bournemouth (2 for Palmair) and for stable contracts and the MOD flying from Manchester and Gatwick.

This info can be found at www.thisisbournemouth.co.uk

This site is the online bournemouth Echo and there are 3 articles relating to the EAC news.

hajjie
19th Mar 2004, 14:54
eac might as well have gone bust if your one of the 560 to lose your job.
Atlanta have most of 747 work. hence most of cabin crew getting jobs there
Also if the company havent gone bust, why are the crew not being paid?

Buster the Bear
19th Mar 2004, 15:41
European Aviation cuts 560 staff/aircraft
Bournemouth-based European Aviation Air Charter is to axe 560 jobs from its 600-strong workforce and furlough five Boeing 747 aircraft in an attempt to stem mounting losses
19 Mar 2004
Bournemouth-based European Aviation Air Charter is to axe 560 jobs from its 600-strong workforce and furlough five Boeing 747 aircraft in an attempt to stem mounting losses.

The airline, which operates charters for UK package companies and on an ad hoc basis, will continue to use its ten 737 planes as it seeks to enter into an arrangement with its creditors, similar to Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US.

Most of the job cuts affect 747 cabin crew at EAAC's bases in Gatwick and Manchester, while some pilots will also be laid off.

The Times reports EAAC was set up by Australian former car dealer Paul Stoddart in 1989 with two BAC 1-11 aircraft bought from the Royal Australian Air Force. The company went on to build up a substantial fleet of the type, which was subsequently grounded by new European noise regulations.

In November 2002 Stoddart entered into an agreement to sell EAAC to a consortium that included Bath Travel, one of its biggest charter customers. Following advice on expansion from management consultants, the airline added the 747s to its fleet, but found them expensive to fill and maintain.

The planned sale fell through and Stoddart stepped back in to take control of the company, investing substantial amounts of his own money. Now five of the 747s have been parked at Bournemouth and Bristol's Filton airports, while the sixth has been leased.

Stoddart told the Times: 'We've cut capacity back to match demand, we've got some fantastically loyal, supportive 737 customers and we will continue to fly for them. Yes, we have to go through a painful restructuring process, yes I am incredibly sad about the jobs.'

http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

Lite
19th Mar 2004, 16:28
The majority, if not all of the Boeing 742 work previously done by European has gone to Air Atlanta Europe. I'm not sure if this will mean lots of crews will migrate over to Air Atlanta Europe, but they have a sound operation and a great team of people.

I think that with Titan operating a fairly modern fleet of 737-300s and 757-200s, they have a good chance of picking up some shorthaul routes that are no longer served by European.

Shame Air Atlanta don't pick up a few cheap 733s like they did with the 752s.

Musket90
19th Mar 2004, 16:52
Titan may pick up some but having only 1 x B733 and 1 x B757 (excludes the 146's and ATR's) they are unlikely to pick up too much, unless of course they are increasing the Boeing fleet.

charterguy
19th Mar 2004, 17:10
Titan would need to more than halve their usual prices, to pick up any of the EAC work.

Totan keep saying, they are not interested in the 'seat rate' market. They would sooner sit on the tarmac, waiting for someone to go tech, and then charge a premium to help out.

CG

bmiboyz
19th Mar 2004, 17:12
So who will it be???

Flightrider
19th Mar 2004, 17:18
I would think it unlikely that Air Atlanta would move into 737s. The main investor in Air Atlanta also holds a 40% stake in Islandsflug, which is a reasonably sizeable operation and I would think more likely to be used if they decided that 737s was the place to be.

mmeteesside
19th Mar 2004, 18:40
Titan have 2 B733s, ZAPM and ZAPW

mmeteesside
MME Movements (http://www.mmemovements.tk)

Buster the Bear
19th Mar 2004, 22:10
Why would EAAC small plane customers need to find new aircraft when the 737 operation is set to continue?

Read the press release above....The 74 operation is over....the 73 operation continues. EAAC have not gone bust!

I am a bear, but at least I can read!

http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

FormerFlyer
20th Mar 2004, 00:18
What makes you think there is going to be a void left at all?

I believe one of the main reasons they have downsized (call it what you will) is that there was no work for all those planes - why else do we read reports on here of crews sat around for weeks on end on permanent standby & not being called? There was no work, so without them operating there will still not be the work.

Just wonder what's gonna happen to the Austravel PER & SYD charters now.

cheers ;)

FF

767-jumpseat
21st Mar 2004, 16:37
It seems a terrible shame that some of the 747 flights to SFB for Travel City were affected badly by tech problems. I have friends who have booked with Travel City often and travelled with EAF and its nearly always been tech, had to return or had some kind of emergency landing. Not encouraging!

I think a lot of this was caused by Travel City's snap decision to transfer all their SFB flights to Air Atlanta Europe, leaving EAF with very little to operate other than a few Austravel charters.

:hmm:

hajjie
22nd Mar 2004, 09:58
Air Atlanta has got the austravel contract. some employes have been saying that for a few months now but it was put down 2 rumours until the events of last week.