PDA

View Full Version : Time

jau
19th Mar 2004, 11:35
Hi All,
I'm putting together a plan for my future flight training, and came very quickly to the conclusion that the two most important factors are time and money! Well, it doesn't take much thinking to work out that if you have a job, you have the money but not the time, and if you have no job, you have the time but not the money. So:
I am getting my PPL this summer during my summer break from Uni and will hour build through the course, when the budget allows. After graduating, I may take a job at a supermarket for a year and use the money to pay for my ATPL's. I figure that even though the wages are poor they are sufficient for the exams and it means that I don't have to pay my student loan off (< £10000 pa). I can then concentrate on getting a higher paid job in my degree related field. (I'm not sure how I'm going to explain the years job at a supermarket to the interview board yet).

I know that a MECR can be gained in spare time, but what about a CPL and IR? Do the courses require full time study? The course are about 50 hours each are they not? Will I be able to fit them around a 9-5 mon-fri job or will I have to devote full time study to it? I won't be able to take four weeks holiday in one go from work so doing it all then is not an option. So how did you guys all do your CPL/IR?
The MCC/CRM I know is a full time course, but it can be fitted into a two week 'holiday' from work. Then of course there may be the need for an FI rating etc. It seems to me that the main problem is not money, but the time off work to do the training itself.

Thanks for your help.
Jau

no sponsor
19th Mar 2004, 16:07
I am getting my PPL this summer during my summer break from Uni and will hour build through the course, when the budget allows

I'm not sure what you mean by hour building in your PPL. You would normally do this after the PPL. If you are doing the PPL in the UK, then unless you are camped out at the flying club every day, then a summer might not be long enough due to bad weather etc. Of course the US is different.

I think people have done a CPL and IR part time, but most schools won't recommend it. I would say to budget on completing that full time. The ME could be done part time, since its only 6 hours, plus groundschool.

I've arranged unpaid leave to do my ME, CPL, IR, MCC. I've budgeted for four months. As long as you give enough notice, a business should be able to plan ahead. I gave 1 years notice.

jau
19th Mar 2004, 16:43
Thanks. Sorry I should have made myself clearer, I meant hour build after the PPL to keep the PPL valid and to start to reach the 150 hours required for the begining of CPL training. When I said 'course' I meant my uni course, not the PPL course!

Surley not every single company would let people take unpaid leave, especially a new graduate employee. Also would they not have something to say when you gave them the reason for the leave?

If you simply saved the money for the training, then quit the job to train, your going to be left with no job on completion of the course, and I doubt another company would employ you knowing the reason why you quit your old job!
Cheers