PDA

View Full Version : Have Ryanair missed the boat?

XSBaggage
18th Mar 2004, 12:47
I am wondering if Ryanair have missed the boat somewhat in starting routes to the new countries joining the EU on May 1st 2004.

EZY have announced BUD and LJU, Air Polonia seem to be adding new routes daily, Sky Europe similarly, and Wizz Air are scheduled to start routes from Poland soon.

From a marketing point of view certain locos have their "areas", such as FR to Scandinavia and Italy, EZY in Switzerland and the former buzz in France, so the first no frills carrier to make inroads into Eastern Europe are likely to capture a huge chunk of the market.
I would have thought that FR would be eager to export their particular brand of "magic":eek: to these countries, but time is running short and they seem to be pottering about with the old traditional routes to southern Spain, Italy etc.

Dan319
18th Mar 2004, 12:51
Heard strong rumours that FR (and EZY) interested in Malta which also joins EU on 1 May
:cool:

Findo
19th Mar 2004, 00:13
Traditionally Ryanair don't announce a new route with more than 4 or 5 weeks notice so no rush to give the opposition valuable information.

They also have a plan to move to a new Berlin location which I believe is only 40 miles or so from the Polish border. 2 birds with one stone possibly.

Musket90
19th Mar 2004, 14:20
Ryanair give the same short notice when pulling out of a route. Also they quietly reduce frequencies on some routes to release aircraft to increase frequencies on others or to start a new route.

Air Malta are shortly to operate 3 x weekly flights to STN marketed under low cost "fares4U" banner. Timetable indicates it's a nightflight to Malta, hence the lower fare availability. They obviously are getting in quick before other more established LCC's take over their whole market.

PAXboy
20th Mar 2004, 17:51
I am wondering if Ryanair have missed the boat somewhat ... Nope. I have not yet seen RyanAir miss any boats - of any size - or colour - or direction of travel! I might not like them but they are smart operators.