PDA

View Full Version : Jetmagic prepares to be wound up

lowfaresbuster
17th Mar 2004, 11:32
from today's Irish Examiner

By Conor Keane, Business Correspondent
JETMAGIC is to be wound up after a search for fresh investors failed to secure an estimated €15 million required to re-start the company which ceased operations from its Cork base in January.

Cork Chamber of Commerce chief executive Michael Geary, who led a search for new investors, said that at this stage he believed there was no one out there willing to put Jetmagic planes back in the air.

The Irish Examiner understands that preparations are being made to wind up the company, which closed in late January with a deficit of close to €3.5m. More that €11m in equity had been invested in the company by mostly Cork-based shareholders

Jetmagic has yet to appoint a receiver or seek the protection of the High Court by asking to be put into examinership.

A formal announcement on the method of winding up the company is expected in the coming days.

Accounts for Jetmagic Limited, covering the year to March 2003, during its start-up phase show that shareholders provided €3.62m in interest free loans to the company in 2003.

It is understood that the loans were converted to shares since then. Among those who provided the loans were five directors who gave €240,170.

Shareholders in the company, which include former Aer Lingus chief, Michael Foley; IDA director Gary Duffy; Bowen Construction director Pat Kelliher; O’Flynn Construction director Brian O’Neill; solicitors Colm McGuire and Ciaran Desmond; air traffic controller Jochen Schnadt; ex- Jetmagic CEO Pat Raftery; Gary Tomlins; Colm McGuire; Guy Perrem; Timothy O’Connor; Alex McCarthy; Kevin O’Connor and developer Gerry Wycherley, are understood to have invested close to €11 million in the company before it hit the financial turbulence which grounded it.

In the year to the end of March 2003, company directors were paid €212,478 in “fees and other emoluments.” An accounting team has completed a creditors’ list and the total amount outstanding to, mostly Cork-based service and supply companies, will be in the region of €3.5 million.

Jetmagic’s 103 employees did not receive any redundancy payments because the company was not in business long enough for them to build up statutory entitlements.

A further 25 workers employed on a temporary basis by baggage handling and service provider Servisair also lost their jobs when Jetmagic ceased operations.

Aer Arann has already commenced operations on the Cork-Belfast route replacing the service previously offered by Jetmagic.

Tom the Tenor
18th Mar 2004, 00:21
Notice how so many of the investors were the bricks and mortar brigade. You had little patience, did you, boys? Typical of your sort looking for a fast buck. Gutless! It is appalling that Jetmagic was lost for 3.5 million Euros, a sum which was not irredeemible? Also, the company at the very least should have been allowed a full season of trading to give itself a sporting chance.

:mad:

brabazon
18th Mar 2004, 08:53
Tom

While sympathies go out to those who have had their dreams and livelihoods shattered by the failure of JetMagic, reality is that the investors were concerned about their investment - wouldn't you be? You can argue that they hadn't given the operation long enough, but if you've invested your own cash you want to see a return on it and if the performance was poor on some routes (either in terms of load factor and/or yield) and you had AerLingus announcing routes from ORK as well then you may decide to pull the plug quickly rather than lose even more money.

The airline business is tough and it's not easy to make money especially in the current climate.

KAT TOO
18th Mar 2004, 09:06
So whats happened to the aircraft they were flying does anyone know where they are now and who if anyone is operating them. How many aircraft did they have on order?

abfgh
24th Jun 2004, 08:07
Any news when they gonna pay us?????????????? I haven't heard from them since that phone call 28/01/2004 at 10:30pm!!!Pretty bad form from all the board members and directors involved!

trainer too 2
24th Jun 2004, 09:28
Typical of your sort looking for a fast buck. Gutless!

Ok and how much of your own money and time have you invested in an airline lately. :rolleyes:

Get a life: the people involved have had the guts to invest in this venture because they believed in it! They also knew that 95% of airlines fail and they still went ahead.....

runawayedge
24th Jun 2004, 11:03
Couldn't agree more! Losing €3.5m along with the €11m investment, requiring another €15m to support a business plan that might not work. I commend them for their original investment. I think if anybody should be slated it is the management team that made so many fatal mistakes. If it were my funds I would have done the same thing. How long do you continue to throw good money after bad. I agree totally 'Tom' get a life!

Wycombe
24th Jun 2004, 11:44
I believe one of the 135's has been stored in a hangar at SOU for some time.

aeftutor
25th Jun 2004, 22:26
EI-ORK is in the Signature Aviation hanger @ SOU.