PDA

View Full Version : Newfoundland

Idunno
16th Mar 2004, 22:18
Hi folks.
I regularly overfly Newfoundland on my way down the east coast to NY. I've often admired the scenery and wondered about taking a holiday there. I'd especially be interested in getting first hand experience of some of the airports I consider as alternates...such as Gander, Stephenville, Goose etc.

Is it difficult or expensive to hire a light a/c to do this? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

pigboat
17th Mar 2004, 01:48
There are five IFR airports on the Island - Deer Lake, St. Anthony and Stephenville in western Newfoundland, Gander in the middle and St. John's on the east coast. Goose is on the mainland. There are a few VFR airports around, Clarenville, Harbour Grace, Springdale etc.
They have flight schools in both Gander and St. John's where you could rent an airplane. PM me, and I'll see if I can put you in touch with one of the guys who used to post here on proon under the name of code blue. He'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

604guy
17th Mar 2004, 11:11
Clarenville (CCZ3) has had an approach for several years.

Ralph Cramden
17th Mar 2004, 23:38
Idunno

Go for it! The scenery is spectacular. Newfies are the friendliest people on the planet bar none. Be careful though they get a lot of weather on the Rock.

Cheers

Ralph

Speedbird48
18th Mar 2004, 09:01
Idunno,

Just as Ralph says, go for it. We lived there for a while, Stephenville, after having flown over the place just like you for 16 years or so.
A great place with wonderful people. The weather can change very fast and there are not many airfields to make a dash for. Very few aircraft to rent although there are a few private owners.
The scenery is terrific and a trip by road is probably the best way to see it. Watch out for the Moose, especially after dark!!
No rental aircraft in Stephenville although there are a couple of privately owned float planes on one of the ponds. Also a couple of small ones at Deer Lake/Cornerbrook.
Have fun and enjoy one of the few unspoiled places around.

Huron Topp
19th Mar 2004, 12:19
Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

:} :} :} :}

Daysleeper
2nd Apr 2004, 19:25
Had a three day stopover in Gander and a couple of tech stops in St Johns. Lovely people and strangely some of the best chicken wings I've eaten, strange because it doesn't look like chicken keeping country if you get my drift.
There's a small air museum in gander. We were there in winter, and at the suggestion of the hotel we drove to the coast to watch the icebergs drift past. (watch the locals idea of distance. just down the road turned out to be a whole day out!)
Super place.:p

bafanguy
2nd Apr 2004, 23:50
My wife was a Delta F/A returning from Germany and wound up as a "guest" for several days starting on Sept. 11th in Stephenville. She says they are the most gracious, generous, and kind people she's ever seen. The stories of how these people turned out in a crisis will bring tears to your eyes.

pigboat
3rd Apr 2004, 02:43
Yeah bafanguy, I flew into the rock regularly for over 30 years. The people are all of that.

bafanguy
5th Apr 2004, 18:32
What's a "jumper" ?

Speedbird48
5th Apr 2004, 22:12
Jumper = English for sweater!!

Whatever you call it you will need one!

BaD.

bafanguy
5th Apr 2004, 22:21
OK, I see...a jumper is some sort of dress that school girls wear in the USA...and what I wear on my days off is my own business...