PDA

View Full Version : Not staying Current

dirkdigler007
15th Mar 2004, 14:49
Its been a year now since ive been flying due to various reasons, i got the PPL in florida and have been saving to go back over. (the main reason being its 145 euro an hour to fly here). Id just like to know has anyone else been out of the game for so long and how they managed back in the cockpit after such a long time. Obviously it will have been different for each individual but Id appreciate any feedback, such as how many hours instruction was needed to go solo again and how was the RT? as Im fairly apprehensive going back to US and looking like a tool.
Not sure whether this should be in private flying

Hufty
15th Mar 2004, 14:56
I had a 6 year lay off and the first hour back in the aircraft was dreadful! I felt comfortable keeping it straight and level but my speed/pitch control in climbs and descents was awful! It took a couple of circuits to get ahead of the aircraft but about 6 hours of GH and circuits before I was happy enough to go off on my own. RT was fine although I did my revalidation in the US after doing my initial flying in the UK, so it took an hour or two to get used to the differences in the RT and airspace etc.

I don't think you need to worry about looking daft in front of an instructor. I am sure they have seen it all before!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
16th Mar 2004, 15:09
DD007,

No need to worry about going over there and being a 'tool' :D

Since getting my PPL back in 1995, I have flown in the states on an annual basis to keep current. I was in the situation of not being able to fly regualrly because I was saving up for the CPL/IR. Anyway, I have found once the foundations were laid on the PPL, after a year a little rust had accumulated, however, after 2 to 3 hours with an instrutor doing a check out I was solo again.

I would not worry about it. Once you have done a few flights, everything should slot back into place nicely.

And as Hufty says, most instructors have seen most things before.

Go out there and enjoy it.