PDA

View Full Version : Loco @ Man!?

MaxMet
14th Mar 2004, 12:21
1 Why do the Low Cost Airlines not have bases in MAN and why do more not fly out of there?

2 LHR is the biggest Airport in the UK what is second MAN or LGW?

Thanks for the answers

:ok: met

Caslance
14th Mar 2004, 13:04
Why do the Low Cost Airlines not have bases in MAN and why do more not fly out of there? Well...............bmiBaby and Mytravel Lite are both "low cost" carriers and both have bases at Ringway, Hapag Lloyd Express serve Manchester and Ryanair operate several flights a day to Dublin.

EasyJet have an expanding base at Liverpool, only twenty-odd miles down the road, so there's no sensible reason for them to even contemplate services from Manchester.

MAN777
14th Mar 2004, 15:54
Just depends what you mean by biggest, area covered or movements/pax

MEFLYBE
14th Mar 2004, 17:04
Lots of traditional carriers such as BA and Monarch are offering low fares on a range of routes from MAN.

There is also the V bird flight in terms of true low cost airlines.

Regards

Mike

Bagso
15th Mar 2004, 06:47
If You compAre low cost schedule out of all UK airports other than Stansted you will actually find that the largest base outside the LONDOn AREA is infact Manchester....

suprising but true !

There are also rumours that ANOTHER major low cost carrier is about to establish a base there !

...all we need now are some stands !!!

MerchantVenturer
15th Mar 2004, 10:30
"LHR is the biggest Airport in the UK what is second MAN or LGW?"

In terms of annual passenger throughput these are the top four UK airports in 2003.

Heathrow 63,495,223

Gatwick 30,005,264

Manchester 19,699,256

Stansted 18,722,112

TURIN
15th Mar 2004, 10:51
Lots of traditional carriers such as BA and Monarch are offering low fares on a range of routes from MAN.

BA only fly to LHR/LGW from MAN.

There is a JFK service using a BA B767 but it is a BACitiExpress flight.

All other a/c that look like BA are in fact BACitiExpress, a different company with totally different staff, terms and conditions, AOC etc.

Sorry to be a pedant but I have my reasons.:mad:

Caslance
16th Mar 2004, 17:05
Sorry to be a pedant but I have my reasons. Yes - pedantry. :p

Mr (or Ms) Punter buys their ticket from BA, checks in for flight "BA whatever" at a BA check-in desk, and waits to board an aircraft with "British Airways" written on the side. They are welcomed on board flight "BA whatever" by crew wearing a BA uniform.

The difference being......?

mcdonnellluke
16th Mar 2004, 17:35
Hello
Do Citiexpress really do operate under a seperate AOC from BA mainline? and also are they really so automonous from the London-based mainline operation?
Luke

MaxMet
17th Mar 2004, 18:01
For the replies

BMI Baby and MyTravelLite are low cost carriers I will not dipute that but they are subs of bigger Airlines that have been esablished at MAN for a long time. Ryanair do not have any internal UK flights from MAN and no real base there.

And yes I did no about the Deutchees arrival @ MAN but again they are a sub airline of a bigger pa. Why no German Wings?

So why no real Low Cost British Carriers based @ MAN is it finance is it slots is it politics?

And no more rumours of some would be low cost/charter/scheduled/super sonic/interstellar airlines.

:ok: Maximum of Metternich aus Bayern

Caslance
17th Mar 2004, 20:24
So why no real Low Cost British Carriers based @ MAN is it finance is it slots is it politics? I see.....Why don't any "lo-cost" operators, apart from the 2 that are based there and the other 3 that operate daily services, serve Ringway?

Is it just me.......... :confused:

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to share your definition of a "real Low Cost British Carrier" with us?

Or is there some agenda at work here, perchance? :E