PDA

View Full Version : PAN aviation ....Why so expensive?

The Hedge
13th Mar 2004, 14:19
Hi all,

I'm over in Oz,and researching the possibility of doing the JAR ATPL theory.

As I'm from Dublin it would be handy to do the study with P.A. and go home to do the exams. I had a look at Pan Avaition and their course is EUR 4000 compared to Bristol GS at 1900 Quid.

As Pan use the same material why do they charge so much more?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this mob and doing the exams in Ireland?

Cheers

Sprawler
13th Mar 2004, 20:32
Like you I looked at using Pan Aviation but was put off for several reasons.

Firstly there's the cost difference. A good deal more expensive than studying directly with Bristol in the UK. That includes return flights and accommodation. I believe this is to do with the expenses involved in arranging the revision course here in Ireland. Funny that! You can always be guaranteed that whether it's aviation training, houses, pints or chocolate bars, it's going to be more expensive here than anywhere else on the planet!

Secondly, the ATPL exams are only held in Ireland once every quarter as opposed to every month in the UK. This gives you more flexibility as to when you want to sit the exams and if you have to repeat any. Sitting you're ground exams in the UK, will mean that you'll have to train for you're CPL under the supervision of the CAA and at a CAA approved flight school which means you wont be able to train for you CPL here in Ireland. However, you'll have far more choice of FTO than only the handful that are approved by the IAA in Ireland.

Finally, the revision courses in Bristol are run by a team of full time ground instructors. I know in the beginning, they used to come over to help run the courses here but I'm not so sure they do anymore. If you are looking at Pan Aviation, make sure you check out what background/experience you're team of ground instructors are coming from.

In the end I chose to study directly with Bristol and sit my exams in the UK. I still live in Ireland and study from here. I think in terms of my overall study and CPL training options, there's more choice taking the UK/CAA route. Remember, Bristol aren't the only ground school in the UK. There are several others that you may like to check out and and that may suit your preferred needs. Check out the Pan Aviation forum on Bristol's website ( http://www.topclasstraining.co.uk/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=panaviation ) and maybe give both of them a call. Also, I think there are a good number of people studying with Pan Aviation here in Ireland, so I'm sure you might get some better feedback from them, either here or through the Bristol website.

Best of luck whatever route you decide,
Sprawler

eire_boy
14th Mar 2004, 02:49
heard a rumour that NFC are to start ATPL distance learning later in the year, approx cost was EUR1800 not sure if thats for the lot or 1800 per 7 modules. Worth a try anyhow