PDA

View Full Version : First bmi Flight on a Sunday MAN-EDI @1830???

The_Banking_Scot
13th Mar 2004, 02:20
Hi,

I'm planning on doing a EDI-MAN-YYZ- rtn flight at the end of June in business
I'm overnighting in MAN on the outbound.

On the retun from YYZ on SAt 3rd July we arrive in MAN @ 0610 and the first bmi flight ot EDI is @ 1830???:(

The next flight is at 1930.

Even a flight to GLA is not until 1600 approx.

Now whilst I enjoy airport lounges:cool: 12 hours is pushing it

:{

I may have to fly MAN-LHR-EDI ( and get to Edi before noon) or fly AC/BA to LHR and connect easier ( and get home earlier). This would of course result in a loss or revenue to bmi.

I would prefer to try the bmi service ( supposed to be very good in business) but the Sunday connection times are very hard.

My question is : why is there not a mid morning flight on a Sunday to transfer pax from ORD/IAD & YYZ to Scotland ( apart from the obvcious business route for MAN-EDI/GLA?)

Regards

TBS

rjdude
13th Mar 2004, 02:39
Probably because not enough people want to travel MAN-EDI at that time on a Sunday.

Mid-morning/early afternoon flights never do well on a Sunday. I know they tried a mid-morning MAN-ABZ Sunday service last year, but pulled it due lack of demand.

Hial Flyer
13th Mar 2004, 04:12
Why not use the AC service from Glasgow. It is daily in June. I believe it also carried a BD flight number.

WHBM
13th Mar 2004, 05:16
TBS:

Business routes (which is what MAN-EDI fundamentally is) never do well between Saturday and Sunday midday. The classic example is London City Airport which actually closes for 24 hours between these times. A condition of their planning permission, but probably a blessing in disguise because they would have had little traffic anyway, and certainly none profitable.

If you look at many business route timetables you will find one flight Saturday morning, and a couple on Saturday afternoon/evenng. This reflects demand accurately.

Putting transatlantic passengers onto Uk connecting flights does not give that flight much of a share of the revenue. It's alright if the flight is operating anyway for full revenue passengers, but on Sunday morning I'm afraid that financially it's not worth the EM4 crew getting out of bed !

The_Banking_Scot
13th Mar 2004, 05:41
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Whilst I understand the reasons, it is just a shame that for people travelling from Scotland, the MAN route is no alternative to Heathrow on the Saturday/Sunday.

Hial Flyer: I'll ocnsider the GLA ACroute but I think that is only served with economy service ( with a larger seat only at the front " Super Comfort") whilst on the 763 served on the GLA the IFE is not as good as on the bmi routes.

Regards

TBS

Anthony Carn
13th Mar 2004, 15:02
The next fight is at 1930
Fight ? You expecting lots of drunken Scots, or something ?

*awaits replies from Scots*

------------------------------------------

Ever heard of the railway ?

Fights are still a possibility !

Hope this helps.

The_Banking_Scot
13th Mar 2004, 16:51
Hi Anthony Carn,

Ooops!!!, I of course meant flights :)

Thanks for pointing the error out.

I'll consider the train but more likely I'll route via LHR ( as the West Coast Main line will probably have railworks on sundays as they are modernising it ).

Thanks again.

Regards

TBS

Scottie Dog
13th Mar 2004, 21:24
The_Banking_Scot

I share your feelings.

As a corporate travel agent, I hate to see passengers being forced to route via Heathrow. As others have however said there is little demand for the route on non-business days.

Having said that, now that Bmi are taking over the route from Air Canada, and are offering a full business service maybe the airline will consider the transfer passenger and think about the possibility of introducing an E135 (Manchester based) to give connections in both directions.

Scottie Dog