PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly US

jamojdm
12th Mar 2004, 20:12
Hi,

i'm a student at Uni in Manchester UK. This summer i'm planning on obtaining my PPL, and have been looking for a place to do it.

Of course because I'm a student I'm rather poor :P so i'm looking at doing a JAA PPL in the states.

<<edit: Sorry, James, the school you mentioned is one of the few that is not to be mentioned on the pages of Pprune. The rest of the question is still relevant>>

Also how difficult is it to get the required M1 visa?

Cheers

James Matthews

henriksch
12th Mar 2004, 20:17
Hi

Dont know about <<edit: school name removed>>... I took mine at EFT, which was very good..... Would also recommend Naples Air center....

worldclassmusician
13th Mar 2004, 20:50
I just got my M1 visa. You need to go down to London for an interview. The visa costs £65 and there are 3 forms which you need to fill in. You'll have to go down on a week day as the embassy is closed at the weekends.

I'm booked up for Naples Air Center in Florida for this summer, they seem to be very reputable, i've spoken to students who have gained their PPL with them and i've heard no bad reports at all.

You should check out their website and consider it. A 3 week course (with your accommodation) costs around $5500 (Around £3000)

Give me an e-mail if you want anymore info

[email protected]

Cheers

Charlie Zulu
14th Mar 2004, 14:50
Hi James,

I have no personal experience with the-school-that-must-not-be-mentioned (I've got a good idea which one that is) but someone I know has completed his PPL there and had a great time.

However I would recommend Naples Air Center from personal experience with them last July (2003). I gained my FAA CPL/IR with them and found the school to be very professional and friendly at the same time, the instructors were great.

The students who were out in Naples doing their JAA PPL whilst I was there were having a great time although you could tell which ones studied and passed their exams in the UK before travelling to Florida - they were the more relaxed of the bunch! They all put in very long hours study and passed, with most of them going on to do their full FAA PPL as well thus becoming dual licenced.

I'm going back to Naples Air Center at the end of June to fly their Piper Seminole, well to hopefully have the Multi Engine Rating added to my FAA CPL/IR and JAA PPL/IMC.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.