12th Mar 2004, 01:23
Looks very impresive again this month with an 18.7% increase
at 1,294,581 even allowing for the extra day in Feb this year

Leeds had a very impresive increase of 35%

Golf India Bravo
details from CAA website

Musket90
12th Mar 2004, 01:32
An even more impressive 1,457.6 monthly figure at Stansted from BAA web site.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
12th Mar 2004, 05:35
Yes I know their winter figures are better than Manchester and have been for a couple of years now but things change in the summer as Stansted has next to no summer charter traffic
whilst Manchester will have probably 3 possibly four months with over 2 million a month based on the growth so far over the last 4 months or so and would expect the 21 million mark to be in reach this year

Golf India Bravo

Bagso
12th Mar 2004, 15:05
but at least Manchester has a more varied array of services and airlines...

If "Paddy McGinty" went bust you may as well close Stansted as nobody else wants to fly from there !

Musket90
12th Mar 2004, 20:12
Golf India Bravo

Yeah - the number of UK charter aircraft at STN in summer is more or less the same as in winter apart from additonal BAL B757 during school holiday period. This is unlikely to change for foreseeable future due not their main base and also the competion from EZY and RYR to some of the traditional package holiday destinations.

STN this summer looks interesting with significant schedule increases from Air Polonia, Norwegian Air Shuttle, Iceland Express, Skyeurope to name a few. Also Malev recently started twice daily and Air Berlin possibly evaluating operating to more non-German destinations.

All this together with EZY's additional routes to BSL and LBJ and RYR's continued upgrading to the B738's on most routes could show continued healthy traffic growth. All it needs is some long haul.

Glad to see MAN, STN and other airports showing healthy growth as it gives less reason to fly from LGW or LHR.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
12th Mar 2004, 21:36
Musket90
Very true, our new sched flights this summer so far are
Syrianair to Damascus 2 weekly with B747SP no less
Aer Arann to Waterford and Kerry both 3 flights a week
Hapag Lloyd to Stuttgart several BMI Baby, Alitalia 2 daily
and quite a few upgrades by Citiexpress, SAS, Lufthansa, Qatar
an American Airlines to Boston and Malasian B747 freighter twice weekly so in all an exciting year ahead for both airports

When I think back I had an uncle who used to live in Thaxted right under the approach to Stansted and can remember many times going there when I was a kid and not seeing an airliner all day and that is only back to the 60`s and 70`s but Manchester only handled about 2 million pax a year then

Golf India Bravo