PDA

View Full Version : Bored. Need Help!

Diesel8
11th Mar 2004, 08:11
Posted this in the Agony forum, but here goes:

Currently go a good job in the US. Senior Captain with a doing well airline, good pay, good conditions etc. Cute GF, lots of friends, money in the bank, nice house blah blah blah. All good and dandy, but I am bored stiff.

I relish some kind of change, new job, new country, that sort of thing. Of course, horror stories abound, but there must be some great fun to be had around the world, right?

10K+ flying, couple of types, plenty of jet PIC, worldwide experience in everything from C-152 to DC-8.

Good problem to have I suppose, but what would you do? This is not a windup, just another pilot wondering about what to do.

Thanks,

D8

bafanguy
11th Mar 2004, 09:09
D8,

I know where you're coming from but can offer my 2 cents. I retired 4 years early ( after 30+ years ) from a VERY good U.S. airline to protect my retirement from the robber barons now running the place. And while it's still a good decision, I miss the flying greatly. I've done a good bit of research into a flying job and the results are not good. There are almost no jobs for us older guys ( 56 is apparently too old ) in the USA. The contract, overseas thing looks iffy at best. From conversations with a few who've done it and reading forums here, I'm not sure I'd try it...low pay, crappy MTC, horrid working conditions, working for ogres, hated by the locals 'cuz you're taking THEIR job, and possibly living in a dangerous part of the world. You really want to fly in Indonesia for $4K/mo ? The corporate route might be interesting if you could find someone to hire you...all about WHO you know, not WHAT. And, if you're not type rated, don't bother to apply. My recent inquiry into a Beechjet rating found costs from $13-21K with real jets being even more. Not a chance !! The conclusion I came to is that I already had what the rest of the flying world wanted. I gave it up because I saw no other viable option but miss the flying and see no way to realistically replace it. If you can hang in there without fear of the pencil monkeys, do it as long as you can 'cuz it's ugly and discouraging out here...and a huge step down from what you've got. Good luck...stay in touch.

Dragon Driver
11th Mar 2004, 17:51
I've got to agree with bafanguy 100%! Hang in there, hang onto it and certainly don't throw it all away. I too have been there and done that and it is not worth the hassle. Right now I'm into a great detail and they're going to need an army to get rid of me!

Why don't you take 6 months unpaid leave or something like that and go and have a feel around? I'm sure that'll cure your greener grass syndrome! :ok:

PPRuNe Pop
11th Mar 2004, 20:05
Diesel8B. Do NOT make multiple posts. This one is now closed.