PDA

View Full Version : Urgent ! Irish Pilots/Students

Irishtjs
11th Mar 2004, 03:13
Hey Lads

I am currrently in the US doing a J.A.A. P.P.L over the period of 3Weeks. Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I couldn't knock out any of the seven exams before I arrived, therefore leaving 3weeks to study and complete (not unattainable)

Obviously it my intention to try and attain all exams and go home to the Emerald Isle with PPL in hand, however I have been informed that should I need to re-do an exams (and subsequently my checkride) in Ireland the I.A.A. will not recognise it because they state that you must do ALL your exams in the SAME STATE.

I know several guys who have come over from the UK with 3/4 exams complete and there is no problem getting their PPL issued in another state.

Has anyone from Ireland taken some exams in at home and completed them in another state and still be issued with a J.A.A. PPL?

Thanks for Help

Irish

Sprawler
11th Mar 2004, 04:08
Unfortunately, they (the IAA) are right. It may be a JAA approved PPL school that you are doing your training with in the US but it is JAA approved by the UK CAA. You are therefore deemed to be completing your training under their supervision. You'll still be issued a JAA PPL which you can use to fly in any JAA member state or on any JAA member state registered aircraft, including Ireland.

I know, it's a pain in the tits! When I did my PPL, I had about 20 hours logged here and had completed all my ground exams when I started getting seriously frustrated with the weather and amount of cash that I was spending. I looked at the option of going Stateside to complete my training and sit my skills test. However, as the IAA don't approve any flight schools in America, I would have had to switch over to the CAA and re-sit all my ground exams. In the end I decided it was more hassle than it was worth and completed my PPL here.

If you've already completed most of your training in the States and you need to resit anything, you're best bet might be to do it up North. If you do decide to do it in Ireland though, you'll only have to sit four ground exams as opposed to seven in the UK. Whatever you decide though, make sure you talk to both the IAA and CAA first to get the official word before you decide anything. A few schools in America were trying to tell me that I could come over and I wouldn't have to re-sit any ground exams!

Best of luck,
Sprawler

bailey
11th Mar 2004, 04:54
Check ur PM's

Bailey

too_sleepy
11th Mar 2004, 21:27
Hi Irish

I was in a simeler situation. I completed all of my PPL exams in Ireland under the IAA thinking they would stand when I went to Florida. They did not so I had to sit all 7 of the UK PPL exams.

With the school I was in you had to have all exams passed before you could do your checkride. Maybe this is different for you.

If you don't manage to comlpete the training in the three weeks you could head to the UK. This would be an immense pain in the back side and cost a lot more money. If you can avoid this at all costs. A few extra days in Florida might not be very appealling now but it will take many more months to complete in the UK.

If you get your hands on the PPL confuser and work like crazy at night going over and over the questions you should be alright.
I did complete my training and exams in three weeks but I had covered most of the material when doing my IAA exams.
Best of luck.

Send Clowns
11th Mar 2004, 22:34
it will take many more months to complete in the UKSomewhat of an exageration, since we can take a new student to test standard in a month (have just helped to do so for one - the test may be delayed due to the weather over the next couple of days)!

Obviously it would be ideal for the work to be completed in the US, but as long as Irishtjs brings training records back the course can be completed quickly in the UK. He will need to be brought up to scratch quickly with flying in European airspace. This is something that anyone coming back from the US needs even if they have the licence - about 5 to 10 hours, depending where in the US the training was done, hence the quality. After a 3-week course, probably nearer the 10 hours. I have just done the retraining for someone who went to a good JAA(UK CAA)-approved US school and he only took 5 hours.

With a Ryanair connection from Dublin here on the airfield, and plentiful cheap B&Bs it need not cost that much either!

The idea of completing up North is another good suggestion, that may be cheaper and more convenient.

too_sleepy
24th Mar 2004, 11:16
Hi Send Clowns

Yes it was an exageration. I was in the same situation and if I could have taken some of the pressure off by considering the UK as an alternative for finishing my training I might have taken it. As it worked out I got all of my written exams and skills test in the three weeks.
I suppose I should have been more factual in my response, it would have taken me months to get enough money together after my Florida trip and arrange for more time off work to get to the UK.

T

Send Clowns
24th Mar 2004, 12:15
Yes, that can be a real problem. Full-time training is much harder, pressure greater, for people who have to start training with no monetary reserves available for hiccups. Delays tend to extend the course hours as refamiliarisation is needed!

PaddyMcGinty
25th Mar 2004, 00:20
I did my PPL and all my exams in 3 weeks in Scotland so it definately can be done. I doubt it would be done quicker in the US or cheaper at that. Save yourselves some hastle!

Steve

birdlady
25th Mar 2004, 20:08
Hi everyone

Maybe slightly off the subject but as you guys mostly seem to be irish are there any places in Ireland that you would recommend for practicle flying. See the thing is I have just completed my JAA PPL here in SA and the school i was doing it in has gone bankrupt. AHHHH!!!! Apart from the weather and the huge expense (cause its VERY CHEAP flying here in sa) are there any good schools for a CPL and ATPL ground school. Another very strange thing is you can do most of your practicle training in Ireland and test here in SA (PPL) the only thing is you have to redo all the therory exams but you cant do your prac training here and test in Ireland. I can not understand this. If anybody is looking for a cheap place to do their PPL and their hour building I strongly recommend you come to SA (or atleast keep it as an option). The thing is the South African PPL is an ICAO licence so when you go to the UK to do JAA CPL you dont have to convert. They except the licence. You may have to do a check ride though. BIG DEAL! The South African licence is the closest in the world to a JAA licence. Dont quote me on this but anyone I have spoken to has said that the south african training is way ahead of the american training and it is cheaper. I know a place where you can get a rating on a KING AIR for less then 2000 pounds. Now if anyone can beat this please let me know. The weather is great here and the booze is cheap what more can you ask for:cool: :cool: :cool:

sullyd
27th Mar 2004, 15:24
Currently, the only place in the republic to do flight training, i believe is waterford. A place that goes by the name flight training ireland. its got the same operators as the flying centre in bourmouth,uk. If anybody knows any different dont be afraid to say, Waterford was the last place i knew of when i was back home. Theres so much more oppourtunities to train over here in the uk.

The 5Q
27th Mar 2004, 20:03
The Waterford branch is called Irish Pilot Training College - http://www.pilottraining.ie or http://www.ptc.ie

Regards

Looper
29th Mar 2004, 14:16
Irishjs,

Can I ask how you are progressing with the training? I'm going over to the US in 3 weeks for PPL training and hope to complete it in the same amount of time as you.

If you've any tips/hints/do's/don'ts they'd be appreciated!

Looper

flapsnslats
5th Apr 2004, 17:47
For all who are interested. coming form the southern end of ireland.
For ppl flying southaer is a long established long established at cork airport www.southaer.com
Pan aviation a dublin based company provide atpl ground school training.www.panaviation.ie
Also recently at weston aerodrome they have been approved for ground school www.nfc.ie much cheaper than panaviation.
Atlantic flight training also based at cork airport recently gained approval for cpl training multi/ir cfi training.atlantic instructors are also commercial pilots their number is 00-353-21-4888737.
Pan aviation study material is provided by bristol ground school which is also approved by the Irish aviation authority.
Do not buy groundschool books from south aer they are only approved for ppl.They sub sell pan the aviation course at a hefty hike in price you would be caught for over a thousand euros.
Hours building in Ireland could take a long time as the schools are heavily booked for ppl lessons.

too_sleepy
6th Apr 2004, 09:16
Hi flapsnslats

Just spoke with NFC and they are not running any ATPL courses, they don't seem to have any intention of ever running these courses. I'm pleased to say they recommended Pan Aviation as I'm studying with them at the moment.
Where did you hear they offered ATPL courses and that they were cheaper?
Thanks

flapsnslats
6th Apr 2004, 13:04
To Sleepy
my apologies.
Yor right pan is still the only group in Ireland approved for groundschool.I contacted the Iaa just to be sure.Their is another school applying but I couldnt get the name.Whats your plans with the multi ir etc etc?

taggs30
19th Apr 2004, 03:13
hi all.

If I do the PPL in Ireland will it be recognised in Florida if I continue my training in the States for different ratings.

Taggs30

birdlady
21st Apr 2004, 13:26
Hi Taggs

If you do a JAA PPL it will be recognised in the states but having said that I would try and do all my training in the states cause its cheaper and the weather is better. You can convert any ICAO PPL into a JAA PPL as long as you have 100 hrs. I know this because this is what I am trying to do at the moment. Im doing all my practicle training here in SA (SA CPL/multi IR) and then am going over to the UK to convert to JAA. Save yourself some bucks.

Mass Times Velocity
21st Apr 2004, 20:50
Taggs,
the advantage to training initially in Ireland is that you'll get used to flying in cr:mad: ppy weather at an early stage so if you do decide to go Stateside later on to continue then the better weather there will make your life easier, if you start with only nice weather you're just leaving yourself another hill to climb at a later stage, get it out of the way early on and it won't be a problem for the future,
MTV:ok: