PDA

View Full Version : Full time or distance learning ATPLs?

nottelling
10th Mar 2004, 21:28
What are the advantages of doing the atpl theory exams by distance learning? I know that full time courses are more expensive but I am still thinking that I want to go for the full time course.

thanks

NT:ok:

AIRWAY
10th Mar 2004, 21:34
Simple, you study at your own pace :}

FlyingForFun
10th Mar 2004, 22:32
The biggest advantages of distance learning are a) it's cheaper, and b) you can fit it around other commitments, e.g. work. If you can afford the time and the money for the full-time course, that's what I'd recommend. However, there are always a few strange ;)individuals who prefer working alone to having the support of a whole class of students and instructors every day, and if you're one of them you may prefer the distance learning.

FFF
-----------------

Penworth
10th Mar 2004, 22:39
If you're super smart working at the pace of the slowest person in a full time course can be frustrating ;) I don't have any experience of full time groundschool, but if its anything like uni the pace can be a problem as everybody works at different speeds. As airway says, DL allows you to work at the speed you want to.

PW

RowleyUK
10th Mar 2004, 23:16
ATPL-full time? Yes please!

Did the trick for me ohhhh yeeassss sir....wham bham thank you maaaam!!:p

PaddyMcGinty
11th Mar 2004, 05:53
I'm doing my first module of DL ATPLs with Bristol and i find it great. They're not that difficult and the books and CD-ROM explains everything very well. If your not too bad at maths then I'd definately stick with the DL. You can do it at the same pace as a full time course if needs be for quarter the price.

Good Luck deciding

Steve

The Greaser
11th Mar 2004, 16:12
And if you are smart you can do it considerably quicker than a full time residential course.

Jonny
11th Mar 2004, 16:35
Steve, could you tell me what kind of software the Bristol CD-Roms use. Really I'm just wondering if they'd be compatible with a Mac and i can't find much info on their website.

Same goes for anyone with similar info for Oxford or Metropolitan...

Back on topic:

Personally I'm gonna go the DL route as I've always been much better at teaching myself. At school and uni I'd always have trouble understanding everything in lessons and would work it all out from a book instead. Combining that with being able to stay in work, for some of the first module at least, it seems to be best option for me.

Julian
11th Mar 2004, 17:57
The distance learning courses also have a residential element as well (4 wks), so even if you are one of the "strange individuals who prefer working alone" you are going to have to grin n bare it :}

silentwitness
11th Mar 2004, 21:14
could you tell me what kind of software the Bristol CD-Roms use. Really I'm just wondering if they'd be compatible with a Mac and i can't find much info on their website.

Damn good qestion!! Anyone?

Alex Whittingham
11th Mar 2004, 22:02
Sorry, I replied to Jonny with a PM. The software is designed for PCs. Up to version 2.7 it has been tested on Windows 98, 2000, ME, XP, XP Pro and NT. The next version 3.0, which is in beta testing, has been trialled on all of the previous except NT. It has been used succesfully on iMacs and Powerbooks by a number of our customers, they use Virtual PC4 to create a windows environment within the Mac package. The only function that doesn't seem to work on Macs is the automatic transmission of test results but there is a manual method, using e-mail attachments, that can be used instead. More on the Technical FAQs section of our forum (http://www.topclasstraining.co.uk/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=tech)

Alex Whittingham
Bristol Groundschool

silentwitness
11th Mar 2004, 22:05
Thanks Alex, no probs as I have VPC 4!

Cheers

finals24
30th Mar 2004, 20:09
Having just completed a DL course (first time passes) I would comment that providing you are disciplined and do the work BEFORE the revision courses then you get a massive amount from the revision weeks. The instructors focus on the difficult concepts and all seems to fall into place.

As said previously, it is horses for courses but it worked for me and allowed me to stay in employment whilst completing the exams...a big plus!!

Finals24