PDA

View Full Version : Taking your IR in the UK?

pa28biggles
10th Mar 2004, 19:42
I am sure that this hasn't been covered before so here goes.
I have noticed that in Spain, the IR can be completed much cheaper than in the UK. Additionally, there is less sim time and more time in the air, which is a plus for me at least.
After the cost of flights to Spain etc, there is a couple of thousand pounds to be saved.
So what encourages pilots to spend the extra few thousand on doing the IR in the UK?
The UK and Spain are the two options for me since I want to stay in European airspace. If I were to do the IR in the UK then i'd certainly choose Multiflight. In Spain, Aeromadrid and Aerofan are two of a few options.
Thanks in advance :ok:
PA28 :confused:

FlyingForFun
10th Mar 2004, 20:03
Remember that your IR skills test must be taken with a CAA examiner, and there aren't very many of them. I don't know, off the top of my head, whether any of them are based in Spain, I'm sure someone on here will know.

Other than that, the arguments are the same as all the other arguments of why people do their flight training in the UK. Family or work commitments. Cost of living/travel if training abroad. Desire to train in the environment you'll be flying/applying for jobs. Want to stick to a local school which you know well, or stick with an instructor whose teaching style you like. And so on.

FFF
--------------

BillieBob
11th Mar 2004, 00:39
Remember that your IR skills test must be taken with a CAA examiner Not true! If the UK is your 'Stae of Licence Issue', then the CPL Skill Test and/or ATPL Skill Test must be conducted by a UK CAA FE. However, you may complete any rating (instrument, type, etc.), including the associated skill test, in any JAA member state that has passed its LIST and MEST inspections and has achieved mutual recognition. So long as the training and testing was done in accordance with JAR-FCL, the UK CAA are obliged to add the rating to your licence.

It is perfectly reasonable to complete the IR training with Aeromadrid or Aerofan, have the IR Skill Test conducted by a Spanish DGAC examiner and have the rating included in a UK issued licence.

VFE
11th Mar 2004, 01:30
CAA examiner Bill McLeod used to travel to BAE Jerez to do the IR's but am not sure if he does any of the other non UK schools.

VFE.

peb
11th Mar 2004, 01:54
CAA examiners go to Jerez for one reason one because the FTO is appruve by the CAA ( I dont know if they are DGAC appruve but I know that they dont run the courses with the DGAC).

In Spain most of FTOs have their own examiners, I mean that the work for the FTO as instrucctor and as examiner ( If you fly with him underinstrucction you are not allowed to take the exam with him)

:ok:

pa28biggles
11th Mar 2004, 15:41
Thank you all for the replies. :ok:

potter5
12th Mar 2004, 20:23
Having asked aeromed earlier this week about doing an IR with them, they told me they are not yet doing the moduler courses in english, but are doing the integrated.

Aerodynamics have not bothered to e mail me back (e mail sent Monday)

Flight training Europe have responded and their prices seem similar to the UK when you consider accodation is included. However the cost of any extra training is a lot. Maybe its because of the exchange rate!

Is there any other school in Spain worth contacting for the IR, I have ATPL exams passed and, CPL skills test passed both in the UK.

I understand from previous posts these exams will be valid in spain. Who could confirm this I dont speak spanish so cant understand spanish CAA web site and, cant see anything on JAA or UK CAA web site

pa28biggles
12th Mar 2004, 21:35
potter5,
Have you tried Aeromadrid and Aerofan?
PA28

razzele
3rd Apr 2004, 20:13
there is also F-air in in the czech republic