PDA

View Full Version : Interflug

reverserunlocked
10th Mar 2004, 09:24
I remember my old Uncle telling me a tale of when he travelled on a German airline in the 'Cold War' days, and that the aircraft was Russian. I'm guessing that was Interflug, which used to operate Russian-built aircraft.

What happened to Interflug, it's aircraft, pilots and routes after the fall of the Berlin wall? There doesn't seem to be a trace of it anywhere anymore.

RU

tom de luxe
10th Mar 2004, 21:17
Tried to survive for a few days, went into liquidation, Soviet planes sold somewhere east, two Airbus 310s taken over by West German Luftwaffe for use as VIP jets (kinda German Air Force One).

BTW the A 310s had their livery changed recently from a big "Luftwaffe" (Air Force) either side of the plane to an equally big "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" (Federal Republic of Germany).

reverserunlocked
10th Mar 2004, 23:43
Interesting how after only a few days it went to the wall (no pun intended..). The Communist dream huh? Didn't wash in the real world!

Just out of interest how long did it take before Lufty spread into the East?

RU

tom de luxe
12th Mar 2004, 19:46
"Few days" was a bit metaphorical.
IF was a socially-owned enterprise, and after a few attempts to find a buyer, the last flight took off on April 30th, 1991, actually.

Check out http://www.if-interflug.de - great site.