PDA

View Full Version : easyJet bans golf group for life

MerchantVenturer
10th Mar 2004, 05:36
ITV West News reported this evening that a group of about a half dozen middle aged golfers has been banned by easyJet from travelling on the airline for life.

A spokeswoman for easyJet was interviewed and alleged that the group travelled from Bristol to Faro last week and during the flight became boisterous and rude to cabin staff. After the aircraft's arrival at Faro cabin staff discovered that one of the group had urinated on a seat and into a seat back. The need to clean the mess had delayed the flight on its return to Bristol.

When they presented themselves at Faro Airport earlier this week for the return flight to Bristol they were refused entry onto the flight and told of the lifelong ban.

They had to make their own way back to Bristol via Brussels at their own expense.

Some of the men were interviewed by the television station on their arrival back at Bristol Airport. One of them admitted that they had had a few drinks and that one of the party had vomitted into a bag, but he denied the allegations made by the airline.

fly babe
10th Mar 2004, 08:50
Fantastic news! Why do people (especially of a certain age) think they can act in such a way? I am so glad they were refused return travel. You would'nt catch them pissing in their clubhouse bar now, would you?

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Mar 2004, 09:24
Subjudice prevailing I am confident that few reading this thread would fail but to be succinct in their outright belief that some passengers are sometimes lower than beasts in a way that truly truly does suprise people who might not otherwise believe that a group of middle aged men might perform such lewd unpleasant and frankly common acts of peace breaching.

Cheers

JoeCo
10th Mar 2004, 15:00
WWW, that was quite a sentence!! Need a moment to catch my breath! But seriously, "....admited to having a few drinks and vomitted in a bag." I mean come on fellas!! You drank enough to puke!! And that is how you start a golfing holiday. Seems to me that if one has drank enough to make himself puke, that there would have been enough liquid in the systme to necessitate a piss. I think it'll be hard to talk themselves out of this one.

small4
10th Mar 2004, 15:57
Having had sight of the cabin crew report and spoken to the senior cabin crew member concerned, I am very pleased at Easy's stance to this incident.

The deliberate, calculating and intimidating actions of a group of about 25 'gentlemen' over a period of nearly three hours in a closed environment has no place in our society.

If they had carried on in a similar fashion on the streets of a town or city it is highly likely that some or all would have been arrested.

Whilst 'free seating' may have commercial advantages, in a situation like this it makes it very difficult to identify those who are accountable due to lack of name and seat number correlation.

It is to Easy's credit that at least some of the culprits were brought to task.

eal401
10th Mar 2004, 16:01
If their behaviour is as reported by EZY then good on EZY and "hahahaha!!" at the idiot golfers.

If they only did what they said, i.e. puke up through excessive booze then.......good on EZY anyway!! :p

DanAir1-11
10th Mar 2004, 16:10
Good job Ezy. Clowns like this have no place on an aeroplane, Being drunk is NEVER an excuse, they took a sober and conscious decision to initially consume intoxicating substances. I despise these MORONS whom use intoxication by alcohol or illicit substances as an excuse for their actions, it is cr@p frankly.

WEBLUEIT
10th Mar 2004, 17:37
Yes - Good result, but what a shame the aircraft didn't divert to an airport where these lowlife could have been offloaded. Then they could been left to fend for themselves. They could have also picked up the tab for the costs occured by EZY. Perhaps they would think twice about future actions such as this!!

Still too many people get away with bad behaviour aloft, personally I feel the courts are too soft and should jail people as a deterent to others. Not slap their wrists with fines which mean nothing.

MerchantVenturer
10th Mar 2004, 18:19
In fact, the group was larger than it appeared on the televison report. There were about fifteen men in the group.

Here is a link to a report of the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3548585.stm

witchdoctor
10th Mar 2004, 18:44
Hmmm, lucky they were only headed to Faro.

An extended stay of undefined duration in Cuba would probably have been the order of the day had they been heading for a golfing break in Florida I suspect.:E

Herod
10th Mar 2004, 23:34
Whilst I totally agree with the action taken by Easyjet, could this have been one of the aircraft that has had a toilet removed in order to accomodate an extra three seats ?

oscarh
10th Mar 2004, 23:40
Isn't a sick bag for vomitting into? Airsickness is not uncommon and, maybe surprisingly, easy doesn't charge for them. Perhaps they have now decided to take sanctions against those who have the gall to puke on their aircraft....

IF they were pi$$ed, why were they allowed to board the aircraft or, alternatively, why were they served with booze or allowed to drink to excess? The law is clear on this. but all too frequently, pasengers are not stopped by check-in or boarding staff and the crew are presented with passengers who really shouldn't be on board. The crew is then faced with a problem it should not have and difficult decisions are transferred to the crew. Offloading, if that is the correct decision, becomes a race against time to find the baggage quickly in order not to miss the slot, never mind actually persuading them to get off, hence the unspoken commercial pressure to accept the situation and just get on with it. It happens.

Was the act of urinating into the seat pocket observed or just suspected?

Sorry to digress, but there are too many holes here for us lot to leap to conclusions even if we abhor such behaviour as is alleged. It does though, bring into focus the problems crews can face in circumstances such as I have described. Thread creep; apologies.

BTW, WWW's sentence(!) reads as though he may be no stranger to the bottle either!

small4
11th Mar 2004, 03:56
Thanks for the BBC thread MV.

Obviously the 'flabbergasted' gentleman was not on the same flight!

Hmm, lets see who I believe. On one side I have a calm and factual report made by someone who is used to dealing with the travelling public on a daily basis and has extensive experience in dealing with difficult situations. On the other side........

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Mar 2004, 06:20
If on the bus 10 or so people decided to urinate in paper bags and stuff them in the seat pockets would you be annoyed?

Purely a speculative hypothetical question.

Cheers