PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP(A) to JAA ATPL(A)

helihaund
10th Mar 2004, 00:28
Hey everyone,
I seem to be running in circles, trying to find out exactly what to do, to transfer my FAA license. According to LASORS sec.G1.5 :
... with 500 hrs crew experience... theoretical examinations (14 written tests)...and a "skill test" (?)
But has anybody out there actually done it ?
In the States?
:confused:

minus273
10th Mar 2004, 04:51
Hey there

check ur messages! Have sent some info you may or may not want.

cumulusse
12th Mar 2004, 00:49
hi

have you heard about europe or euro-land...
well
you are very welcome!!!!!

minus273
12th Mar 2004, 17:04
Hi there

Well have been a few messages on this subject so thought that I would reply to see what I can add.

I started my distance learning course for the JAA ATPL in March-April 2003. I came to the course with an FAA and Canadian ATPL.

Having the ATPL made me exempt from doing the formal ground school or doing the required 650hrs of studying. So I could study and take the exams when I felt like. If you have less than ATPL you will be required to do the full GS or the 650hrs distance learning.

During that time I was also working and doing interviews for companies that would accept my other licences. So I would say that If I was not working I would have been able to complete the exams in 4months.

I would also suggest doing all the easy ones and getting them out the way, such as the comms papers and human factors, airlaw, Ops, radio nav etc etc. I say that these are easy as they either are or where pretty much feedback.

Now for the great feedback debate, many people have posted that you should not just study from just the feedback. Well there is some truth to that, but I think that if you come in holding an ATPL or a commercial with a 1000hrs or so these exams are no more than a fomality. The best way to go is to get hold of feedback and books read the books a few times make some notes and then do the feedback again and again and again.

The truth for me is that I heard the horror stories of the JAA exams and wasted time in the first block studying too hard. In the end all I should have done is get the feedback and studied that to 90% and taken the exams. I did that for my 2 other sets and studied them in 2 months and 1 month. I ended up with a first time pass rate of 90%AV with no fails.

A lot of the FAA to JAA, is learning exam technique how they word the questions here and all of that type of thing.

As I did not have the 500hrs multi crew I will still have to do the MCC course unless I get a job on a JAA approved multi crew aircraft. There is a list of these somewhere, think CitationV or larger. They will not accept a B1900 that is dual crew as here like the US it can be flown single pilot although few operators would.

I did my commercial rides in the US as it was cheaper and I knew the airspace, the flight test was no more than an FAA and having instructed for 2 yrs was extremely easy. I obtained an hours reduction from the head of training so that I only had to do hours required to do the test they then signed the form (1070A)?? after 3hrs and I took the test and passed.

I have not done the IR yet due to money. So I am not qualified to talk too much about that. I am not really too worried about it after doing all my intial IFR work in Canada in the winter, but I am sure that there will be differences and that all I can say is go into with an open mind except the differences fly the tolerances that they ask and I am sure you will pass.

As for hours for the IR as a conversion you will need to do 15hrs minimum of which 10hrs can be on an FNPT2 simulator I believe and the 5hrs can be on an aircraft.

Also things to watch out for, I have found that the £608 pounds for the flight test is that, this is not the licence issue fee which will then be added on later when you request your licence. This is another £210 or so. You will have a 12 month period in which to apply for the licence. So as such mine is sitting in Gatwick waiting.

Medicals if you hold a class1 from another country you will be able to use that to get a discount on the JAA one £240 down from £400 something.

Radio licence I used my Canadian one to be exempt from the JAA one and if you send in the paperwork at the same time as licence issue you will save yourself the £50 or so. This does not work for the FAA as it is not recognised.

Well that is all I can think of for now hope that this helps some of you.

Also for those interested if you PM I may be able to offer you material that I nop longer need to help you in your JAA studies.

Well fly safe and have a look at LASORS 2004 to see all the things that you can try to avoid in paying for as otherwise you can bet that it will cost you almost double.

helihaund
14th Mar 2004, 11:01
Hey thanks -273
all good info!

H

minus273
16th Mar 2004, 21:39
Or link this for me someone.