PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Codes

Dai Chopper
8th Mar 2004, 17:31
Going to Liverpool the other day we noticed in the airfield Notams that part of a taxiway was only suitable for up to Code (not Cat) C aircraft. This was explained in the Notam as B737/A320 size. My compatriot and I looked at each other and realised that neither of us knew the code for the B757 or 767. We looked in fairly obvious documents to research but to no avail.

Any clues please would be appreciated.

witchdoctor
8th Mar 2004, 18:13
I think what you may have seen in the NOTAM is the aerodrome reference code, which gives an indication of the (in this instance) size of aircraft for which the taxiway is suitable.

Code C would allow a/c with a wingspan of between 24m and 36m, and an outer main gear span of 6m to 9m.

Not entirely sure what the code for a 757/767 would be without resorting to the Big Anorak Spotter's Guide To Trivia, but Code D is 36-52m and 9-14m respectively, Code E 52-65m and 9-14m.

Hope it is helpful.

Dai Chopper
9th Mar 2004, 01:16
withdoctor

Thanks for the reply but we have taken the 757 along that same taxiway in the no-too-distant past with no ill effects!

Maybe an obstruction that is in the way due to all the building work. ATC didn't seem too bothered that we were going to taxy along the route until we queried whether this was okay.

hobie
9th Mar 2004, 04:39
try this ...........

http://www.boeing.com/assocproducts/aircompat/faqs/aircraftdesigngroup.pdf

757 and 767 are both group D .....

cheers .....