PDA

View Full Version : Converting FAA CPL/IR to Canadian Equivalent

Charlie Zulu
6th Mar 2004, 12:04
Hi All,

Having an FAA CPL/IR SE and going back to the USA for the ME Addon at the end of June I will be studying for the JAA ATPL Exams when I arrive home.

A friend in the same aeroplane group as myself has just purchased a holiday property in Victoria, Canada. He said I can use the property whenever I like (he'll be out there a lot for some flying vacations!).

Not one to pass up on an offer I am seriously contemplating on combining a trip to Canada with a bit of hard work and obtain a Canadian CPL/IR SE ME as well (might as well have a third nations CPL/IR!).

I have been looking at the Transport Canada website and they have given quite a lot of information in regards to converting to their licence.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/personnel/fore.htm

From the above and its associated links I have found that although I am exempt from formal ground school I am required to sit and pass the Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane (CPAER) written exam.

The sublink states the following:

(b) obtained a minimum of 60% in each of the following four mandatory subjects areas as well as in the overall written examination Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane (CPAER):

(i) Air Law - <snip>
(ii) Navigation - <snip>
(iii) Meteorology - <snip>
(iv) Aeronautics - <snip>

Does this mean that there is one commercial written exam (CPAER) and I have to pass that with a 60% or better including at least 60% in each of the subject areas covered within the same exam? The pass mark sounds very low compared to the 70 / 75 of the FAA / JAA system.

As I am exempt from formal ground school I am looking for some recommendations for books, especially books covering Canadian Aviation Regulations (I'll probably be recommended the CARs publication!). Also any books like the USA's GLIEM publications in publication over in Canada?

There is also an Instrument Rating written exam (INRAT) which I will need to pass. Any GLIEM style books for this? Radio and Radar systems sounds a little more complex than the FAA system... Do they go in depth in the principles behind Radar / Radio equipment?

Also I am fully aware that I will require flight training in order to pass the Canadian CPL/IR flight tests. This is to ensure I am up to speed with the Canadian airspace and air traffic procedures as well as the general flight test profile.

My Multi Engine Rating (when added to my CPL/IR in July - assuming I pass - bad mistake probably!) will be added to the Canadian Licence as I'm hoping to do all of this around this time next year.

Does the weather tend to show any problems around this time of the year in the Victoria area of Canada? I'm assuming that we will not be doing any IR work in real IMC unless we have a de-iced twin to use due to Icing etc (I'm assuming its still mighty cold in Victoria).

Does anyone have any flight school recommendations around the Victoria area?

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

minus273
7th Mar 2004, 01:39
Hey there,

Well I did my Canadian licence and then the FAA.

Things to look for in the way of study guides and books:

I assume that you have done FAA (maybe JAA??) to Commercial standards.

If that is the case then you should not have too many problems navigating the Canadian licences. Although they are not easy, with the knowledge that you have you should not have too many problems with them.

Now for books.

Canadian Air force Weather Command Book.
From The Ground Up (Covers all topics and is a good book in general)

Study Guides:

AeroCourse: Instrument
(I am not sure if they do one for commercial) Also Aerocourse do weekend seminars at the end of which you can then take the test I believe.

If you can also get hold of a Canadian AIP that would be good believe that you can order them not sure how though. Try Transport Canada.

Also see if you can get a CAP GEN it is similiar to the front section of the plates in the USA and is useful for the oral section of the instrument flight tests.

For multi-flying I used the Jepp multi book as used in the USA.

The commercial flight test is not too bad, similiar to the USA but less ground and performance manouvers.

The Instrument is I would say harder, but hey I did the Canadain one first and you always find that one harder.

All I can think of at the moment,

Well write back if you want and more details.

Congrats to Ireland on beating Ingerland.
And Scotland you need to pull your thumb out, is very embaressing wearing a Scotland jersey when you play like that.

minus273
8th Mar 2004, 17:52
Also check your private messages have left some other info that you may be interested in.

Charlie Zulu
9th Mar 2004, 01:13
Hi 273,

Thank you for the information.

I've done the FAA to Commercial / Instrument standards but JAA to PPL/IMC/Night only.

I'll be ordering both "Canadian Air force Weather Command" and .
"From The Ground Up" in due course... thanks for the suggestions.

The "AeroCourse: Instrument" sounds ideal to getting to know the Canadian way of things... I'll look into this (and will report back if they do a Commercial test version).

Ah I've got the Jepp book for the Multi already so hopefully that'll surfice. Looking at the Transport Canada website it looks as though I won't need to do a Multi Engine test though as my FAA multi will have been issued within the previous 12 months.

The commercial flight test is not too bad, similiar to the USA but less ground and performance manouvers.

So it is more like the JAA CPL Skills Test? Do they put emphasis on Navigation instead of Manouvers?

Hopefully I won't have too much of a problem with the Canadian Instrument Rating test!!!

This is looking more likely to be going ahead next year now... do you have any suggestions for flight schools in the Victoria area? (I've never been to Canada).

I've sent you a pm as well.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.