PDA

View Full Version : Any EMA to Germany routes planned?

BDWW
6th Mar 2004, 03:14
Just wondering if anyone knows any rumours about routes to Germany from EMA? (I know bmi used to operate Frankfurt and bmibaby operated to Munich) but are any new operators interested in operating German routes? It is the one country that the airport is seriously lacking in of destinations. I'm sure there is demand for a couple of the major cities like Frankfurt and Munich. Any info guys?

Lite
6th Mar 2004, 04:55
I'm not sure if its an actual requirement on the part of bmi, but I believe there is something when Lufthansa bought a share in bmi, that bmi weren't meant to compete on any Lufthansa routes.

From what I remember, bmi's EMA-FRA route with the Fokker 100s was taking passengers away from Lufthansa's Boeing 733 BHX-FRA service, so Lufthansa got bmi to close down the route.

bmibaby did try to operate a service between Munich & East Midlands but the service didnt get very good loads, even with the 735s operating the route, so baby pulled off.

Lots of rumors NEMA management have been in talks with both germanwings & HLX about service from Koeln and I believe if any airline started service it would be HLX as they already have links with Manchester Airport Group with their MAN services.

EasyJet may launch flights from their new SXF base, NEMA is the only UK base not to get a SXF service, but perhaps that will change eventually and NEMA may even get Munich & Dortmund to boot.