PDA

View Full Version : Qantas - Dublin

fintan
5th Mar 2004, 19:42
Hi all,

Heard from a source in Dublin that Quantas will be starting flights to Dublin? cant find anything elsewhere any boady else hear bout this?

Farrell
5th Mar 2004, 20:12
As far as I know, this is true. But it's a bit misleading. They will advertise flights to Australia from Ireland, but in actually fact, it will be a code-share with either Aer Lingus or British Midland.

Haven't seen a Qantas aircraft in Dublin for over three years.

Chomeur
6th Mar 2004, 03:46
This could tie in with the re-equipment plans at AI. They are basically waiting for the next ultra long haul model that would be capable of operating non-stop Dublin - Dublin.

akerosid
6th Mar 2004, 14:14
I'm surprised that this is news; after all BA (which already codeshares with QF on flights to Australia) also codeshares with EI to Dublin, so what's really new in this?

What we really need is an airline willing to fly directly into Dublin. If EK ever gets its act together, it could be the leader in what is a potentially good market: flying from Ireland to Australia (plus all the other markets it could serve via DXB).

Interestingly, I saw a post on Airliners.net (not always the most reliable of sources, I know) to the effect that QF is looking at the possibility of converting o/s A330 options to A340s for use on long haul flights, with PER-LHR being one possibility. QF must be concerned that it is being undermined by the likes of EK, which can access new and potentially lucrative new markets much more effectively with A330s than QF can with 744s (its 330s being essentially regional aircraft).

FlyCorkInternational
11th Mar 2004, 02:28
It has been confirmed that Qantas will be operating a once off Heathrow-Cork-Sydney flight next September 11th using B744.

minuteman
11th Mar 2004, 03:31
ORK-SYD?

What's your source?

SNNEI
11th Mar 2004, 05:55
A few questions on that:

a) Why sept 11th?? Have qantas marketing gone crazy??
b) I dont think a B744 could depart to SYD, even making a stop, from ORK's runway..

Early april fools perhaps??

Not that i'm having a go at cork airport here.. but seriously sept 11 with a 744???

FlyCorkInternational
11th Mar 2004, 06:19
Yes its true - i agree the date is a bit ominiuos - but the source is directly from Aer Rianta. Obviously it will be making a fuel stop en route. It is a special service which is collecting a sports group in Cork who are travelling to Oz. And Cork has handled a B744 before - remember KLM last year (albeit this was only a short hop to AMS)