PDA

View Full Version : Helios Airways

Firm Touchdown
3rd Mar 2004, 07:58
I am trying to find out a little about Helios Airways.

Are they making money?
Are they a serious contender in the scheduled market from Cyprus?
Are they here to stay?
They are backed by the Zela shipping group. Do they have sufficient funds to back this airline if it comes up against hard times?

Any information or opinions will be gratefully received!

Buster the Bear
3rd Mar 2004, 17:12
Their Cyprus to Luton routes are rumoured to be carrying consistantly high loads.

Shortly to start a Cyprus to Heathrow route.

A popular choice for passengers.

Pembo330
3rd Mar 2004, 20:13
I thought I'd answered this yesterday but my post must have gone missing.

My family flew with Helios last year and were very impressed. I'll be flying with them in the summer and am really looking forward to it.

I believe a 3rd 737-800 is expected later this year.

Firm Touchdown
4th Mar 2004, 05:25
The 3rd aircraft is actually a 737-300. This will not impress the pax if it is used on their new route to LHR.

Although I thank you for your replies, I was hoping someone could shed some light on the financial state/backing of this company.

Pembo330
4th Mar 2004, 15:34
Did you see the article in Airliner World last summer? That had a pretty good run down on the firm.

From what I can gather the introduction of the 738s (from 734s) has made a huge positive impact on the business.

I wonder how they will differentiate between the 733 and 738 routes?

Firm Touchdown
4th Mar 2004, 16:35
Didn't see that article.

I am considering leaving the UK to live in Cyprus. I have a reasonably sucure position in the UK and thus there is an obvious risk in moving.

Hence the question, are Helios here to stay? Is it a risk worth taking?

Pembo330
4th Mar 2004, 16:48
FT,

Well first of all I'd do the research. Check out that article for starters; sure it gives positive slants but it also tells you about the problems they've experienced in the past and how they've got over them.

The market in Cyprus is opening up and Helios are really the first airline to make a go of it since de-regulation. The only other charter airline is Eurocypria which is a sub of Cyprus Airways.

As with many Charters, the main concerns seem to be over winter but you'll notice they're now increasing their scheduled loads, so I think they're making all the right moves.

Moving job is *always* risky because there are always unknowns. However, none of us would get anywhere without taking risks. From what I know of Helios, they're no more risky an option then anyone else.

What do you do for a living? Have you been offered a job with them?

Buster the Bear
4th Mar 2004, 17:06
There was an article in our local paper last year relating to a regular user of the scheduled service from Luton to Cyprus. This person uses Helios twice a week to commute from his home on the island via Luton to his business in London.

He remarked on how punctual and economical the flights had been for him and planned to frequent the route just as regularly in future.

Buster the Bear
5th Mar 2004, 17:55
Will inaugurate nonstop service from Larnaca to London Heathrow on 01May04.

Helios will operate 5 flights a week (Daily ex Tue/Thu) with a Boeing 737-300.

Helios also operates to London's Luton, Stansted and Gatwick Airports.

Eddie Ginley
5th Mar 2004, 22:46
Firm Touchdown

Long story short...

Yes they are a very safe bet and run a good professional operation based on full service and reasonable (but not low cost) fares.

Good solid customer base - a lot of Greek Cypriots in London with VFRs, and UK ex-pats commuting etc.,

I know a couple of people who use their services from Luton in exactly the way you are considering.

PS:- I should state that I have nothing to do with Helios professionally but can say that they have consistently impressed me.

Love & kisses - back to the bingo now...

Fast Eddie:ok:

Buster the Bear
24th Mar 2004, 14:35
Helios, Aegean offer direct flights to Athens from Cyprus
...and also to London Heathrow

Financial Mirror Online
Wednesday, March 24, 2004, 16:00

Helios Airways, the private air carrier, has announced that it has entered into a deal with Aegean, the Greek private airline, and will offer a total of five daily flights to Athens, of which two will be serviced by Helios and three by Aegean.

At the same time the airline will inaugurate five weekly flights to London Heathrow from May 1.

Helios Managing Director Demetris Pantazis said under the joint code sharing deal signed with Aegean, the public can fly on any of the five daily flights to Athens and enjoy rock bottom fares starting from CYP 29 for Athens and CYP 39 for Thessaloniki, plus taxes after May 1 when the air transport restrictions will be scrapped.

“We are celebrating EU entry inaugurating new flights to Athens, Thessaloniki, Iraklion and London Heathrow,” he said.

Pantazis said Helios will also increase its scheduled flights to London to a total of 13 weekly flights, of which 5 will fly to London Heathrow, in addition to the existing flights to London Gatwick and Luton.

Fares to London start from CYP 120 return or CYP 99 for special offers.

“The same rates will also apply to London Heathrow,” said Pantazis.

Helios Airways has been operating a successful daily flight to London Luton starting about 15 months ago. Pantazis said Helios has serviced over 120,000 passengers on 980 flights with its punctuality rate hitting a highly satisfactory 91% rate.

Helios Airways operates two B737-800 New Generation aircraft which were delivered brand-new from Boeing in May 2001. A third B737-800 New Generation aircraft is expected to be delivered to Helios Airways in the spring of 2004.

http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

Powerjet1
16th Jun 2004, 15:36
Would appear that Helios are maintaining their daily LTN summer schedule throuhout the winter instead of reducing to 4 x weekly on the LCA flights. Also PFO, which is a weekly stop via LCA on a Tuesday is to get a second weekly flight on a Thursday, again via LCA, starting 9 September.

Buster the Bear
16th Jun 2004, 19:26
That is another 25,000 pax extra per year!
http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg