VALIDITY
An Instrument Rating (Aeroplane) is valid for a
period of 12 months.

RE-VALIDATION OF AN IR(A)
A Single-Engine (Aeroplane) Instrument Rating will
be revalidated by proficiency check.
A Multi-Engine (Aeroplane) Instrument Rating will
be revalidated by proficiency check at the same
time as revalidation of a ME Type/Class rating.

RENEWAL OF AN IR(A)
Where an Instrument Rating has expired by less
than 5 years and IR privileges have not been
exercised in any other category of aircraft (e.g.
helicopters) or under the privileges of an ICAO
licence, a proficiency check will be required.

This is taken out of the current LASORS.

Can anybody explain the ramifications of the following scenario:

I have an FAA (ICAO) IR and I also have a JAR IR.
My JAR IR has expired by 6 months.
I have just made my FAA IR current by flying 6 approaches etc, etc.

The renewal part says that I WOULD require a proficiency check if my JAR license has expired (by less than 5 years) and I HAVEN'T exercised "IR" privileges using an ICAO license.

My question is that in my case I would have exercised IR privileges using an ICAO license. Does that mean that my JAR does NOT require a proficiency check.

Cheers,

FIS.

Keygrip
2nd Mar 2004, 21:46
No - it doesn't.

Your JAA I/R does need to be renewed by test - which (on every profile I have flown - both as a candidate for my own I/R renewal and as an I/R examiner) seems to take a fraction over two hours.

I don't have the rest of the LASORS bit to hand but the references are towards WHO can conduct the test - the UK Authorities say that renewal of expired rating within five years of expiration (so SIX years from date of last successful test) can be done by a "civilian" examiner - after that period it must be done by a "staff" examiner.

That's not a very clear answer I've given there - but you must renew or revalidate your JAA I/R by test every 12 months.

Multi engine I/R normally done at same time as MEP class rating revalidation and is valid on a single engine aircraft.

Single engine I/R is valid on SEP only (and is a shorter profile - but I've not done one).

Field In Sight
3rd Mar 2004, 00:41
Keygrip,

Thanks for that, but I already know the Proficiency check is not as rigid as the Initial test and does not require a CAA examiner.
This assumes that a proficiency check is required.

The question I was asking was what is the relevence of the "exercised IR privileges of an ICAO license" and how it affected the requirement to do a Proficiency check.

I read the text as saying you will need a proficiency check to renew your license if it has expired AND you HAVEN'T exercised IR privileges using an ICAO license.

What does that mean if your license has expired and you HAVE exercised IR privileges using an ICAO license???

FIS

Touchy
5th Mar 2004, 04:43
I think it sounds like a way to avoid shelling out silly money to keep a JAA ir valid. It means that if you have an ICAO licence, such as an FAA, then as long as you are using it and it is valid then it keeps your JAA ir valid aswell. Great news!

Field In Sight
5th Mar 2004, 19:47
That was the way I was hoping it to mean.

It sounds too good to be true, so it probably doesn't mean that.

Any other comments?

FIS

mad_jock
5th Mar 2004, 21:21
To have a valid IR on a JAR license you must do the IR prof check.

If you are using an ICAO IR which you keep valid it means that the 7 years invalidity on your ground exams dosn't come into effect.

Also there are 2 types of IR examiner, Staff CAA examiner (CAAFU) and IR revalidation examiners who is anyone who holds that rating ( don't know if its counted as a rating or if there is a better term for it). If you have used and ICAO IR and its is valid there is no requirement for you to use the Staff examiner to renew your JAR IR.

So if say you were flying on a FAA ticket for 10years and wanted to come back to the UK to work. All you would have to do is a LPC in what ever class or type you intended to fly with the local IR examiner/ TRE and that would be you legal again for G reg aircraft. You might haveto submit paper work to the CAA if you were over 5 years though.

MJ