PDA

View Full Version : Swiss sells its 25 ERJ-145, tries to pay two ERJ-170

ettore
2nd Mar 2004, 05:17
According to a report of Jans Flottau in the NZZ dated March 1st Swiss is selling its remaining 25 ERJ-145 "in order to reduce the size of its regional fleet" (formely Crossair).

Flottau further explains that Swiss is also trying to shift its 30 ERJ-195 orders to the smaller (and sooner-to-be-on-the-market) ERJ 190. But the autor stops short of saying whether Swiss would stick by 30 A/C in this category or also reduce the number of orders.

Last but not least, the article also say that Swiss is negociating with GECAS the financing of (only) two ERJ-170 it's supposed to acquire this year. The original order was of 30 pieces...

My comment: it looks as if Swiss is cutting down its regional fleet anywhere it can. It also decided to move 5 Saab 2000 to European Continental Airways (ECA known as Crossair Europe), a full subsidiary based in Mulhausen and flying under French AOC. Some routes towards Austria and Germany are also said to be flown by third parties on an ACMI base. Swiss did not communicate those changes (*) to the public and does not seem to be willing to. Any idea why?

(*) Except an ACMI agreement with Cirrus on the Geneva-Lugano route because Swiss A/C performances and safety requirements the FOCA suddenly became aware of after years of infringment do not allow Swiss to fly Agno economically anymore...

bmibaby.com
2nd Mar 2004, 22:13
If one was interested in sub leasing some of the swiss ERJ-145s that swiss are trying to get rid of, then what would be the correct way for a new company to go about this?

Would you go through swiss (and if so, whom?) or would you go through the respective leasing company?

EDDNHopper
8th Mar 2004, 02:57
My comment: it looks as if Swiss is cutting down its regional fleet anywhere it can.

Two questions:

Could anyone please tell me whether something like the Eurocross concept - maybe somewhat reduced - would be viable (theoretically), under given circumstances today?

If most of the European feeder services are cut, how can they expect to fill their long-haul routes ex ZRH?

Momo
12th Mar 2004, 14:53
I don't think Eurocross did/does anything much for the hub/spoke concept. Perhaps it did when there was a BSL-EWR flight. It seems to me that it is a standalone proposition.

As I commented at the time of the restructuring announcement six months ago, cutting your fleet 35%, your personnel 30% and lowering fares decreases your profitability. The press reports two days ago, indicating an increase in load factor from 69 to 71%, Feb 03 to Feb 04, did not mention yield. Yield can only have gone down. I think Dosé's resignation bodes ill for the financial announcements on March 23rd. Watch out for things like not mentioning charges associated with Embraer cancellations and postponements. We have already seen charges incurred in one accounting period showing up in another, in my opinion.

My new prediction is that the transparency of the accounts will depend on who is definitively chosen to head the company. If an insider (from the current board) is appointed, transparency will take time. An outsider will have a one-time opportunity to blame all problems on his predecessor, and will do his/her utmost to expose all issues.

Momo

Danou_71
26th Mar 2004, 12:15
And now the rumor says that these aircrafts, if they come one day, will be integrated in the main line(former Swissair) instead of been flown by ex-CRX, despite the signed agreement between SPA(union of ex-CRX pilots) and Swiss.
Rumor says the final decision will be taken next week... Let's see!!!

D_71

ettore
26th Mar 2004, 22:33
If you're talking about the ERJ-190, I guess it won't be delivered to any airline before some time, since it made its very first roll-out a couple of months ago. And the garantee given to the SPA that any plane up to 105 seats will be flown by the former Crossair pilots runs out in October 2005. So, if you want to fly them some day, you'd better start negociating right now. Or switch to another airline, which might have better chances to survive...