PDA

View Full Version : B737 2nd Segment CLimb Gradient

Azzy
2nd Mar 2004, 00:21
Can anybody help me where to find
Single Engine Rate of climb (AFTO) or Single Engine 2nd segment climb gradient? this is for B737-200 Basic

fruitbatflyer
2nd Mar 2004, 14:14
Boeing produced Generic Operations Manuals in three volumes, and Vol 3 was the one which contained performance data. Certainly for the 200adv they did this, can't vouch for the basic.
You will need to be sure you have the graphs for the correct engine variant.
Otherwise, it SHOULD be in the Aircraft Flight Manual.

LEM
3rd Mar 2004, 01:42
I couldn't find it in my 200 advanced vol.3.

Disappointed!

Must be in the AFM

:*

A_plata
3rd Mar 2004, 08:09
The climb gradient for the B737-200 basic, as well as the -200ADV (and all the other series 300, 400, NG), is the same: 2.4% climb gardient.

And the relationship is:
Climb gradient=(R/C)/(V*COS GAMMA)

Being:
R/C = Rate of climb
V = True airspeed
GAMMA= Flight path angle realtive to the horizon

This is a simplified formula and of course the uniots must be consistent to obtain a valid value.

I hope this helps

I almost forget what fruitbatflyer mention, the values are in graph form in the AFM, in the Chapter 4 of these manual you have a lot of graphs dealing with the climb gradient for 2 segment and third segment for the engine inop case.

I canīt remember if there is a number published for this value in the Ops Manual or in the FPPM.

fruitbatflyer
5th Mar 2004, 09:04
The 2.4% is a legislated figure which applies to all air transport twins above 5700kg. All this means is that, for the takeoff weight altitude and temperature, a 2.4% gross climb gradient (1.6% nett) must be achievable on one engine in the second segment IF there are no other limitations in the takeoff path.
Some runways or departure procedures may specify that a greater climb gradient is required - hence the need for the graphs in the AFM or some other method such as computer derived tables. The operator and pilot are required to ensure that whatever climb gradient it takes, can be achieved - 1.6/ 2.4% merely being the minimum allowable if there are no other limiting factors.
I appreciate that this may be self-evident to most readers of this section, but the preceding post may be read by the uninitiated to imply that the B737 is somehow guaranteed to climb at 2.4% when it most certainly is not, and won't, it you load it up enough.

4dogs
6th Mar 2004, 20:48
fruitbatflyer,

Fine with me until your last sentence - yes, it is guaranteed (within the certification assumptions and gross-to-net reduction) to meet 1.6% net at all permissable WAT limits - it just may not be enough gradient capability in the presence of obstacles. You are not allowed to load over WAT in any circumstance without specific regulatory approval.

Usually, the Performance section of the AFM will give you a Reference Gradient chart that will tell you the OEI gradient capability for the prevailing conditions.

Stay Alive,