PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory

Farrell
1st Mar 2004, 15:18
Hi Folks

Can you explain to me why most schools request that you have a PPL before you start a distance learning ATPL theory test?
I checked Bristol Groundschool's site and they seem to be the only one I can find that don't request this. I'd like to do the theory before I knuckle down to flying.

Is the Bristol course any good?

Also, is it possible - or do any of you guys have all the ATPL notes and software to sell? - then I could just book the exams myself. Just a thought.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

pa28biggles
1st Mar 2004, 15:55
Can you explain to me why most schools request that you have a PPL before you start a distance learning ATPL theory test?
I can't, but you must take the PPL exams and have a PPL before you start the ATPL theory, even at Bristol.

Is the Bristol course any good?
I am studying with Bristol at the moment, the course material is excellent. They seem to have an excellent reputation.

Also, is it possible - or do any of you guys have all the ATPL notes and software to sell? - then I could just book the exams myself. Just a thought.
You cant just book the exams yourself. You have to sit an element of ground school before the exams with an approved organisation. The minimum duration of ground school is four weeks.
With Bristol, the course is split into two modules. You study module 1 at home, and then sit the two week brush up course at Bristol. Then you take the module one exams at one of the exam centres. Then you do module two in the same manner.
Even if the ground school was optional and not mandatory, I would still do it. It is excellent for exam preparation.
Also let me add the fact that if you buy notes second hand, they will be un-revised. If you buy them new from Bristol for example, updates will be available.
All the best,
PA28.

Farrell
1st Mar 2004, 16:26
Thanks for that.

I live in Lyon, France and as my French is crap, it's difficult for me here. I'm beginning a PPL course at the local airport next month, (you've no idea how hard it's been to find an English-speaking instructor!) so I'll stick to that.

I also have the Oxford Aviation PPL software which is good, but I'd like have manuals - CBT is great but I find it easier to learn with books - maybe I just need to get used to it.

Thanks again

Wayne

pa28biggles
1st Mar 2004, 17:33
No problem.
I find it easier to learn from books, than to stare at a computer screen for hours. However, the computer is great for animations, so its good to use a mix of the two.
PA28.

Jarvy
2nd Mar 2004, 00:30
Bristol very good highly recconmended.
You must have PPL to do exams.
School must stamp exam application to prove you have taken an approved course.
Good luck.