PDA

View Full Version : Cranfield Aviation Training School

Necky
29th Feb 2004, 23:56
Anybody out there got any advice for me? I want to start distance learning course for ATPL exams, I live in Northamptonshire.
I'm considering using either

Cranfield Aviation Training School (CATS) because they're local(ish)

or

Bristol GS because of their reputation.

Giving Oxford a miss, too pricey for me.

CATS seem to be a bit of an unknown quantity, done a search on them, but everything that came up was about 4Forces, etc.

Does anyone know if the notes they're using are still the old 4Forces ones? Any other relevent info would be great.

flyfish
1st Mar 2004, 00:18
I cant speak for CATS but I can recommend Bristol.
The school is first class as are their books and the cd they produce.
I wouldnt let the locality of a school put you off, as during the 2 weeks brush ups its very important to be 100% focused, and staying somewhere away from the daily destractions of home life is very important.

The atmosphere at Bristol is very relaxed and the staff are very willing to assist you in every way.
For customer service I cant fault Bristol, in fact I cant fault them in any way.
good luck wherever you go.

PaulStonitsch
1st Mar 2004, 23:20
I am currently doing my ATPL's at CAT's, and I definately CANNOT complain about them. They have a wonderful mix of experience, which comes into its own when answering those trickey questions. They also have a internet based student forum which I have found very useful.

To make a long story short, I would reccommend them to anyone.

FlyingForFun
1st Mar 2004, 23:31
Cranfield Aviation Training School (CATS) because they're local(ish)Don't worry too much about how local a school is... the whole point of "distance" learning is that you can be some distance from the school! You will need to spend two periods of two weeks (total four weeks) at your school. Bristol (and I assume all the other schools) will give you a list of local accomodation which can be extremely cheap.... so it really doesn't work out a big deal at all, certainly not compared to the cost of having to re-sit even just one or two exams if you were to choose a nearer, but less suitable, school.Bristol GS because of their reputationAgain, you need to do a little more than just rely on reputation. Just because lots of people (me included) studied there and found them excellent, that doesn't mean their style will necessarilly suit you. Get down there and have a look around, talk to instructors and current students, and have a good look through their notes before you make up your mind. It's not worth commiting a couple of thousand pounds and a year or so of your life to any organisation simply on reputation.

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

Dillydally
7th Mar 2004, 01:24
Hi Necky

I can speak first hand for both schools. I originally signed up with Bristol as they had the image and atmosphere which I thought would be best for me. Unfortunately after studying for 7 months there I had only managed to pass 6 of my ATPL subjects, not because I wasnt studying but because I wasnt getting much help from them unless I was made of money. I then thought it was time to look to other areas so that I could finish my exams quickly and get on with the flying. I arranged a meeting with Cranfield Aviation Training school and told them my sittuation and what I was aiming to do. They were completly supportive and took me under their wing. Three months later I had passed all 14 of my ATPL exams and was on my way flying. They are so focused on your needs and hep you in any area at any time to make sure you pass the exams not just at a 75% level (which is a pass with the CAA) but well beyond to make sure that you pass first time and never have to do them again. Please take my experience as advice and go to Cranfield Aviation Training School. They made me so compfortable and relaxed about my exams that it was a shame to leave.

Many people on here would agree with me.

Its only advice and the decision is yours in the end, I just thought I would give you a bit of insigt into what ive ben through

PPRuNe Towers
7th Mar 2004, 15:12
I think I wouldn't trust a single word written under the username Dillydally.

I would suggest the username is only in existence to plant positive spin for a school that had a very checkered past. Four Forces anyone??

This username has only appeared over the last 18 months to provide puff pieces for the school. I am certain the school will use the search engine to view the postings by Dillydally, will read the total inconsistancies presented, and pop up here post haste to totally divorce themselves from such arrant dishonesty. Yes, we have been waiting for that one slip that proves a poster is a school plant and the post above is the 'best' we've seen in ages.

Flying schools trying it on will be publicly exposed here on PPRuNe. You are not dealing with the amiable, back-scratching relationship you have with the GA magazines.

Regards to all Wannabees
Rob Lloyd

Dillydally
7th Mar 2004, 19:10
Check my background and do some investigating before you wrongly accuse. Its strange how four forces comes up every time cranfield aviation training is mentioned when the only resemblance between the two is that cranfield aviation training took over the building that four forces were in. Why should a company that, as far a im concerned, provides superb training, be penalised for a company that they had nothing in common with and no links to. Come up with your own assumptions, ive been through the course with both schools and was only expressing my experiences.

Im amaized you even think that I work for the company. How about you come for a sim ride at LHR and I will introduce myself!

PPRuNe Towers
8th Mar 2004, 00:53
Straight questions Dillydally.

6 posts up to this point - 5 boosted that school. You have never mentioned your IR, GFT's or equivalent, location for hour building or even your PPL. This is not so much unusual as unique - any comments why?

According to you Bristol Ground School, err, didn't suit as all can read above. How does that tally with this completely unedited post from December 2002?

My experience

I think its time that someone said what actualy went on at 4-forces and how they are in no way linked to CATS.

I was a former full time ATPL student at 4 forces who ended up closing half way through my course. I thought I would have to pay more money to go to another flying school but was offered an entire new course at CATS for no extra cost through their current CGI at CATS. The only history that CATS has with 4 Forces is one of their instructors who used to work for them. The two main problems with 4 forces (who happened to be brothers) happly vanished and CATS took any student from 4 forces that wanted help, free of charge until they held the licence they payed for at 4 forces. In fact, the current CGI at CATS spent his own personal savings on getting students through their training until they passed.

Instead of listerning to the WISE WORDS!!!! of certain people here, why not spare £10 on petrol and go and see them. I went there last week to see how they were doing, not knowing that they had been chosen to train certain airline cadets. Put it this way, if paying for students from 4 forces out of their own pocket isnt a big enough commitment to students, then what is?

And before anyone speculates, No I dont work for them. They got me through my ATPL in 6 months with everyone passed first time above 85% (and im not an academic).

Meanwhile, yesterday you wrote on another thread: Take my advice.....try cranfield aviation training school. I started at bristol, didnt get much help, went to Cranfield aviation training and finished my exams in three months.

3 months?? 6 months?? Which was it please ??

If you assert the above is also true when did you manage to actually work with Bristol Ground School and sit the exams?

Did you sit JAA exams with BGS?

Why would you pay a substantial sum of money to go to BGS when the course is offered for free?

Which exams did you actually pass and where? The above suggests they were all at the other school but you've clearly stated earlier in the thread that you got 6 passes at BGS.

Why did you go there after such a warm offer from the new school rising from 4F's ashes?

What notes did you use at the other School - specifically were they the 4Forces ones? Notes which have become a true legend in the UK training industry.(Rebuttal invited from ANY party on that last point)

The chronology suggests that it is a least 2 full years since you could possibly have had anything to do with BGS. Why only post regarding one school in the most glowing terms yet never mention any other part of your training? You went through the modular route therefore you have passed through several training organisations.

Finally Dillydally, are you a devoted religious person? I ask in all seriousness as you were ripped of for an entire ATPL course but as readers can see for themselves you have never uttered one word of criticism for Frode and his merry band - it's either saintly or almost as if you weren't even there or it wasn't your money. Meanwhile I'm sitting here in the Middle East right next to someone who was on that final 4Forces course.

I stand by my points made earlier: The search engine is on for everyone to check for themselves. One topic posters supposedly earning a licence can never be trusted.

Rob Lloyd

Dillydally
8th Mar 2004, 16:58
Im praising the school because I think its about time that someone should. I keep in close contact with the goings on at CATS and feel a little more respect for them should be given. As I said many moths ago, CATS took on all 65 ATPL and CPL students for free when 4 forces went under and after speeking to the CGI this morning, all of them have passed and are on their way to becoming proffesional pilots. It seems that no matter what they do they get punished for their kindness! Im sick of people bringing up that they are 4 forces when they have nothing in common with them and have never been linked with them EVER!!.

Many people would agree with me here but just dont want to say, well maybe its time!

The ony sdvice I can give to up and coming pilots is to go and visit the schools that you are interested in. Many people on here unfortunatley are from other schools and will try to gain your custom any way they can. I started my ATPL many years ago and hopefully now things are better than they were.

2WingsOnMyWagon
9th Mar 2004, 02:32
I have had plenty of dealings with CATS in the past couple of years and continue to do so. In my opinion they are very good. The study guides were originally a similar format to 4FORCES and also Cabair, but they have been totally re-written and are also now in full colour. Im sorry to hear that "kicking" had a bad experience with his brush up course but I know for a FACT CATS has the best pass rates in the country (ATPL, CPL and IR theory). Also any of the students who have done the full course (especially those who go in for the morning lectures) with CATS will, im sure, have nothing bad to say about the quality of training, study guides or Stuarts determination to get all the students through.

CATS has absolutly nothing to do with 4FORCES they went bankrupt years ago, and on that point "dillydally" is correct in saying that Stuart took on a large number of 4FORCES students and got all but 2 through (these 2 are currently restarting soon Im told.)

However "Dillydally" CATS ATPL course runs for 9 months not 6 or 3! so I can tell that you dont work for them! It sounds to me that you failed at Bristol and are a bit sour grapes. Walter Mitty anyone???

Bristol have an extremely good reputation and Im not going to dispute it, but CATS is an excellent school and definetly worth a look if nothing else.

4Forces ones? Notes which have become a true legend in the UK training industry
Thats one word for them:p

Hope that answers a few questions

regards

2 WINGS:ok: