PDA

View Full Version : JAA in Austria ?

Captain Crispy
29th Feb 2004, 22:41
Is austria JAA or ICAO,the JAA website isn't very helpful( with anything really !)I will be in austria later this year and would like to validate my atp,is this possible ?Does austria have any good training schools ?

M.85
29th Feb 2004, 22:59
Rather sure they are JAA but you need to speak german/austrian to get a position offer(thats what i experienced) but im sure they have pretty good standards.

M.85

BillieBob
1st Mar 2004, 03:13
Is austria JAA or ICAO Both. All members of the JAA are also members of ICAO

I will be in austria later this year and would like to validate my atp,is this possible ? No. You cannot 'validate' your ATP in any JAA state. Perhaps you mean to ask if you can get a JAA ATP issued in Austria on the strength of your non-JAA licence, in which case the answer is still no. The JAA website is perfectly clear on the status of Austria. This (http://www.jaa.nl/whatisthejaa/diagram2.pdf) tells you that Austria is a member of the JAA and this (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/licensing_overview.html) tells you that they are not yet recommended for mutual recognition and so cannot issue JAA licences.

Captain Crispy
1st Mar 2004, 13:47
Thank's billiebob,but I am still a little confused(Icao licence holder) Do the austrians issue Icao or jaa licences?Any idea when the austrians will be full jaa(fcl) Perhaps I am reading the mutual recognition agreement incorrectly, I'm not trying to get a (free jaa licence) just interested in doing some flying there (even ppl )thanks for the help.

WestWind1950
1st Mar 2004, 18:21
at the moment Austria is still not issueing JAA licences... in fact, I was told some time ago that they weren't going to mess with it at all! Recently, though, I have heard that they were soon going to inact the JAR-FCL after all....
So it seems you still must be a bit patient.... and even after they inact it, who knows what their requirments will be.... :confused:

Westy

mattpilot
2nd Mar 2004, 01:35
i got a question...

Austria currently issues Austrian licenses if you show them an FAA license. AFAIK, its an idependent license. So if i get one of those, and JAA does become effective after that, could i theoretically convert the austrian license to a JAA license for almost no Cost? :confused: :D

iflysims
2nd Mar 2004, 03:18
Austria has not yet ratified JAR-FCL. There are some rumors that they will ratify in the next 12 months but then again they may also wait until EASA fully is implemented.

If you have a FAA license then the Austrian would give you a PPL equivalent based on your US license. To get a full Austrian license you still have to complete the written and practical exam.