PDA

View Full Version : Hot News - 5 Oxford Grads Gets Jobs

jam123
28th Feb 2004, 00:30
Some interesting threads on OAT's website which may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.oxfordaviation.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1010

Don't know if it's all a marketing ploy or it is true.

Also, i found the following link quite interesting and may be for those who are considering OAT.

http://www.oxfordaviation.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1014

what do you girls/guys think?

jam

M.85
28th Feb 2004, 01:36
the only thing i can say to that is Mike Taylor is a very kind man,I met him a few times when in modular outside and inside class(however we did occasionnaly fall asleep in his class..not because of partying too much but of the subject taught..DC/AC electrics..burk)
Anyways,the ground school was excellent and i would recommend it to anyone..i couldnt have hoped for better.
However,concerning the help for employement,oxford person is correct..modulares dont pay for carrer help but are given a regular news update via email..a few things upset me when it was written airlines look for quality not quantity..but who is there to judge on that..? anyways,i asked to stop getting that news email as it seemed to be aimed for integrated people more than others..and apart from kindly being invited to seminars and regular airline speech(as they do regularly around 6 pm,after class)...when one has graduated can not expect to be given a job by the spoon..youll be in the industry all by your own and will have only yourself to land an interview...
Concerning remarks about pprune website..i dont think the remarks are fair..its a great website for pilots who want to keep in touch with everyday events such as airlines hiring...
It was a great help to me as it kept me in the LOOP much more than their news letter did.

All the best to all,

M.85

George Foreman
28th Feb 2004, 05:44
As you say, interesting so far as it goes.

However, since you ask, my broader concern is who are you trying to persuade here? yourself or your audience?

If you, personally, are sold on going to Oxford, then fine, I am happy for you! Oxford has a fine reputation for the quality of the training. So do other places. I looked at it carefully and I was impressed, but I chose not to go there. I had my reasons.

However, it would be unreasonable

... to seek to validate your decision here, or

... to seek to influence the members of this community, ie to be seen to be positively promoting the perceived benefits of this one specific Integrated course, whilst not even mentioning (ie coming across as being almost blind to) some of the highly credible (and more price competitive) alternatives.

Oxford train a lot of pilots. Of course it is good news, but not *such* big news to hear that a handfull of graduates from Oxford, or anywhere else, recently got jobs. As Oxford themselves say in the thread that it does happen, from time to time! Airlines hire pilots on an ongoing basis to fill retirements, people moving on, or expansion in their business !

Iīm not an insider in any way, but I know of several modular people (various experience levels) who have landed jobs over the last year. It is also a fact that many recent graduates from Jerez have landed jet airline jobs - some with the assistance of the school (ie with airlines who have approached the school directly) and some as a result of their own direct efforts. I dare bet that Cabair grads too, are having their successes. You would expect this within a sizeable, dynamic, and still growing industry; ie pilot recruitment is not unique to Oxford!

I personally don't understand the market well enough to know whether graduates from any one JAR FTO are relatively more successful than others at the moment. I suspect that you don't either and that much of the time it is as much about "people issues".

Donīt get me wrong, we are all interested in news about which airlines have recruited, and, if they have a preferred FTO (as some seem to), an understanding of the reasons which lie behind this. That would be genuine insight.

Please let's keep this discussion balanced and in perspective. The complexities of recruitment in this industry extend well beyond the carefully worded marketing material of any one FTO.

Kind Regards and Best of Luck,
George.

boeingbus2002
29th Feb 2004, 06:26
There was a job advert in Flt Int'l this week for a Careers Advisor at OATS.
Is this a new replacement or an additional one to help MT?

mad_jock
29th Feb 2004, 20:41
Actually I think its really pants for a FTO of Oxfords size boasting about 5 people getting jobs. 50 maybe but not 5 when they graduate over 100 a year.

I am really glad that Rob and Danny have taken up the cause of wannabies of outing these Marketing types for talking pish.

If you want to go to OAT and spend 60k+ do it. But understand these days it doesn't give you any advantage over a modular pilot who has spent 35K. And 1 year later when the modular person has worked as a FI and has over 1000 hrs to your 160hrs your CV will have been filed in the bucket along with the other 100's of low hours CV's. While they are getting a phone call to interview.

Anyway i really can't understand why everyone wants to go straight onto jets. Turboprops are brillant fun, you might be bouncing around in the wx flying manually wishing to hell the hostie would stop walking up and down. To then be told best speed to 4DME then have to try and slow from 220knts to 130knts in 3d and get all the services out. Yes at first its all a bit fast but after a month on line you will be able to fly the machine, eat a sandwich, chat to the hostie and find a approach plate, all at the same time and still nail the altitude on the 0 and the gps track on the nose.

Its all good pratical skills which will be with you the rest of your career. And as a bonus its bloody good fun.

MJ

M.85
29th Feb 2004, 22:10
Madjock,

I totally agree with you..flying a turboprop before a jet should be a prerequisite for airlines..
I can not thank enough the few years I spent flying SA227 and Be1900 without A/P and single pilot.
Soon on a 737 deck,I often think and worry about keeping skills sharp,manual flying that is,how long will my skills stay at a sufficient level flying automated aircrafts?after a 2 year break i doubt I would feel confident in going back to the flying i did before..but flying turboprops gives you the essential "stick and rudder" know how..
Yes flying a nice shiny jet is appealing,moneywise and some glamour maybe??but the fun and experience in a turboprop? i believe it to be essential..but is that too much of an American way to climb the ladders??

Safe flying,

M.85

mad_jock
29th Feb 2004, 22:39
Yes flying a nice shiny jet is appealing,moneywise and some glamour maybe??

:) h'mm glamour that will soon wear off.

appealing:- yes i can understand that the grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence

moneywise:- yes you get payed more. But most turboprop operators have bases away from the main hubs so quality of lifestyle will be comparable to the higher earning jet pilots who will have to fund living in the SE for example if not better.

And no extra fun.

I am sure in time the jet life style will become a higher priority.
To be honest I didn't even apply for any jet jobs.

MJ