PDA

View Full Version : ClasAir EGPK-EGPI ??

ecj
27th Feb 2004, 04:34
This outfit is planning to operate between Prestwick and Islay sometime this year. AOC put on hold?

Anybody know what is really going on?

:confused:

kpiko3
29th Feb 2004, 01:37
The reason ClasAir`s AOC is suspended is beacuse that they were not opertaing anything and there aircraft was not flying so they suspended there AOC just till things got sorted out.
They operate a Pa-30 Najavo,I think it`s reg is G-BVNM.

Hope this helps
kpiko3

Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'
29th Feb 2004, 04:45
As I've been led to believe, they are/were planning to operate a EMB-110 Bandeirante on this route, possibly to tie in with the 'Scottish west coast golf season'? Can't substantiate this though and could just be a good rumour.

Being a very frequent visitor to EGPI, I was wondering how they were going to manage to operate a daily service from PIK. As I understand things, the IFR approach procedures into EGPI are 'discreet' and essentially 'owned' by Loganair (For want of a better phrase). Be interesting to see them get in and out everyday in the typical west coast gloom without the help of a legal instrument approach. VFR at 500ft maybe?!

If they get it up and running, then I wish them all the luck in the world. Be good to see someone else zipping around up here in the liquid sunshine of Scotland.

:ok:

Runway 31
29th Feb 2004, 17:30
To give an insight into Classairs inspirations, please note below an article from a recent edition of the Scotsman.

Take from it what you will but it does not fill me full of hope.

The only aircraft that I know they have is a PA31 which seems to spend its time at Prestwick or Perth.

Islay flights put on hold

JOHN ROSS

A NEW airline says it remains committed to launching passenger services between Prestwick and Islay and Campbeltown this year, even though it is currently grounded.

ClasAir has asked the Civil Aviation Authority to suspend its air operations certificate (AOC) temporarily while repairs are carried out to its aircraft.

Operators need an AOC to run a scheduled passenger service in the UK. The no-frills ClasAir, which was launched in 2002 by Nirmal Singh, the millionaire boss of an Indian restaurant, announced recently it planned to start twice-daily routes to Islay and Campbeltown this year, its first venture into scheduled services. However the service to Islay will not take off for at least another two months, while the Campbeltown service is planned for later in the year.

Highlands and Islands Airports Ltd (HIAL), the Scottish Executive-owned company that runs ten airports in the Highlands and islands, including on Islay and at Campbeltown, has raised doubts the services could start in the immediate future.

A spokesman said: "HIAL has been in discussion with ClasAir for a number of months regarding the airline’s proposals to fly scheduled services to HIAL airports in the south-west of Scotland. However, no agreement has yet been reached on these proposals.

"ClasAir has still to resolve a number of operational issues on its side before the discussions can move forward and final arrangements be concluded for the potential start of these services.

"At this time, ClasAir has not addressed the operational and statutory requirements ... and HIAL awaits further developments."

David Hunter, ClasAir’s operations manager, said: "We put our AOC into voluntary suspension pending the repairs to our aircraft. We have had to wait for parts for the aircraft and keeping everything going to maintain a proper AOC we were wasting money and so the easiest thing to do was suspend it."He added: "We are looking to Islay as being the first scheduled route and hopefully we can start about April or May."

Buy one get one free
29th Feb 2004, 20:23
If ClasAir do regain their AOC, part of the process to operate will be to demonstrate to their FOI that they are competent.

This will no doubt include a flight to Islay, and they are likely to become a CAA approved operator at ILY.

Loganair and others operate at ILY as an approved CAA [SRG] operator. They do not own the IFR procedures. An intangible asset.;)

bogof

ecj
1st Mar 2004, 04:19
Islay have an NDB/DME approach for both ends of 13/31. From what I understand Loganair require their crews to fly the full instrument approaches at night even though it may be CAVOK.

RW31 has an offset approach due to the hills to the SE.

Somewhat of an interesting approach in marginal weather. At least Loganair crews are tried and tested.

Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'
1st Mar 2004, 13:07
Absolutely!

Been there many times in the dark in both 'orrible and pleasant weather and have to say that the Logan policy of always using the NDB approach at night is a sound one. If anything it eliminates the possibility of CFIT over there and keeps the pax happy too. On a nice day you still get to do the visual 'distillery tour' on the morning run. Either way, Logan drivers cut their teeth in Islay, twice, sometimes three times a day, 6 days per week in all weather. Good practice, and safety minded.

However, even with the NDB to guide you, on a gusty day/night in low viz and heavy rain, it still isn't the most comforting approach and can throw up the odd surprise or two. But then that's not exactly surprising with the beacon positioned next to large hills, surrounded by water and the approach flown at night! Everything that makes for a good NDB approach! Mind you, saying that, you should try the NDB into Barra at night! :\

Flyin' High
1st Mar 2004, 20:35
Doesnt really tell you too much ... but for what its worth ....

ClasAir Web Site (http://www.clasair.com)