PDA

View Full Version : need help FIC

summers
26th Feb 2004, 17:07
I'm currently doing my FIC and have been given several work sheets to complete. There are a couple of questions that I'm stuggling to answer. I can't seem to find the answers in any of my notes, ATPL or FIC.

Q1. What is the minimum height at which a student can fly solo cross-country?

Q2. What are the minimum requirements from a student flying solo cross-country: a. Visibility b. Cloud base c. Surface wind d. Cruise wind?

I think I have the correct answers for Q2. +8km, +2000', -20kts, -30kts. Althought I can't be sure as the section of notes I'm referring to say that these are the student FI's minimums.

Can anyone help, or suggest where I might find the correct info? Do the CAA have a guide for FI's that refers to these and other rules and regs or are they specific to the schools?

Thanks for any replies.

26th Feb 2004, 18:35
You might want to check the school's "Flying Order Book".

The answers should be in there.

Good luck:ok:

homeguard
27th Feb 2004, 07:41
Some things have to be commen sense.

One rule to fit all would be in some cases unduly too liberal and in others be totally impracticable.

Would you send a student solo; UK/PPL minima 5K, Rule 5 with 'no closer' than 500ft or 1500ft if above congested areas with a cloud base just enough to comply with rule 5. X/wind at or potentially likely to be at the 'demonstrated' or 'crosswind limit' of the aircraft, I hope not.

Make a fixed rule and some will simply just comply with it, sadly. As already said most if not all schools will have a Pilots Order Book that will state the absolute minima appropiate for the flying schools local circumstances, as it should be.

I must say though that it is horrifying to read of a student on a QXC flying into snow capped hills in PPL/VFR minima. Someone needed a brain scan the day they authorised that flight!

I recently had to calm a young student pilot and inspect his aeroplane after he had landed at our airport - the x/wind was in excess of his aircrafts 'demonstrated x/wind component'- and who then went of the runway having ground looped on landing (an alternative runway was available, by the way ). He told me that he hadn't yet been taught x/wind landing techniques, WHAT! I do not allow student cross country solo until thay have completed dual and solo, all and I mean all of the 12/13 (14), 16/17, 18 and 19 syllabus.

But back to you. I should think that your FIC school expects you to refer to their Pilots Order Book, for there will be your answers.