PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With This

Farrell
24th Feb 2004, 19:17
Hi Folks

Have just received loan approval to do an ab initio ATPL.

Am 30 years old, and am nervous about the Class 1 medical.
My right eye has been lazy since birth.
A lot of people have this, and it is not treatable.

My other eye is 100%

Will this screw up the medical for me?

Thanks

Wayne

keeno
24th Feb 2004, 19:29
wayne,

I think what would be a good idea is to go and read up on the tolerances that the CAA allow for the issue of a Class 1 medical certificate. you can do this by going to there website:

www.caa.co.uk

i think it is here that you can look to see what they allow, and then perhaps go and get yourself an eye test. they can be quite strict about it though, and i can see why u are worried. my right eye is weaker than the left (which is 100%) but i am within their acceptbale limits for a Class 1.

if in doubt, just give the CAA Medical division a call at Gatwick on

01293 573 700

and speak to them about it or to get a doctor to call you back... I am a little surprised that they did not ask about it during your interview process whether or not it you would have any difficulty passing the Class 1 medical....?

Keeno

FlyingForFun
24th Feb 2004, 19:53
Wayne,

As well as Keeno's excellent advice, I'd also suggest trying to arrange to get to Gatwick (assuming you're going for a British-issued license) just to have your eyes tested. I believe that the CAA will have their doctors examine you to confirm whether your eyes would pass the Class 1, for a small fee.... much cheaper than paying for the complete Class 1 and failing.

FFF
-----------

Farrell
26th Feb 2004, 02:02
Thanks everyone