PDA

View Full Version : Complex/IMC

Number Cruncher
24th Feb 2004, 17:46
Hi all

Will be coming to the end of the hour building phase in the near future. So far it has all been on a 152/Cherokee. As a head start for the CPL/IR I am contemplating using the last 20 hours or so to get a complex check out and then complete the IMC (bit of practice for the IR) in an Arrow (as is used for the CPL).

Would you reckon this is manageable? Or would the step up on aircraft require more practice VFR mastering increased speeds etc?

Your comments welcome

FlyingForFun
24th Feb 2004, 18:03
I think the IMC will be very useful for the CPL and the IR. As will the complex checkout. Sounds like a good plan.

I'm not sure that the two can be easilly combined, though. The complex checkout will involve doing stalls, steep turns and circuits (the same as a checkout on any aircraft, in fact). The IMC rating does not include any of these.

What you could do would be to do the complex checkout first, and then do the IMC rating on the Arrow. But I don't know how much benefit you'd get from doing that. You will get more experience in the Arrow, that's true, but once you're checked out in it, there isn't very much more to learn - certainly nothing that can't be covered in the 5 hours that you'll have to spend in a complex aircraft as part of your CPL course. And doing the IMC course in an Arrow will make the course more difficult - you'll have to fly all the procedures that bit faster, you'll have to think about the gear and the prop while you're under a very high workload on the approach.... Doesn't seem to make much sense.

My advice would be to do the complex checkout. And to do the IMC rating on a C1x2/PA28. Doesn't matter which order you do these in. You'll find the IMC easier that way, and still gain all the benefits (and save a bit of cash, too!)

FFF
-------------------

superstar
24th Feb 2004, 18:29
I agree with FFF!

Both will be beneficial to you but it would probably be better to complete the IMC in a PA28 rather than an arrow. Not only will the course be a bit easier but it will also reduce the costs slightly.

It would be a good idea to get some experience on arrow before the CPL too!

Good luck!!

G-SEXY
24th Feb 2004, 21:41
Number Cruncher.....

I am also hour building at the moment and as part of it, I'm in the process of completing my IMC training in a PA28 Warrior and thouroughly enjoying it!!!

I decided against doing the IMC rating on the Arrow purely for cost reasons and also considering the fact that it would increase the workload, as FlyingForFun also commented on.

I do still want to be checked out on the complex type before doing the CPL, just to get some experience on type.

Good luck with your flying!! :ok:

Snigs
25th Feb 2004, 19:04
On the other hand, the more experience on the complex a/c before your CPL training will mean that the CPL will be easier.

When I was doing my CPL there were many comments about students who had minimum complex hours not coping with the complex a/c as well as the CPL flying. This lengthened their CPL training (more money!!)

I had 70-ish complex hours (Arrow) before my CPL training. I completed the CPL in 25 hours.

It's a case of swings and roundabouts.

As a little caveat, my hour building was done in an Arrow, but I was flying in Sweden at the time and the hire cost was about £35 per hour (wet), which certainly was a factor when it came to choose my a/c type! :cool:

G-SEXY
25th Feb 2004, 22:20
I'm planning on getting as many hours on complex before commencing the CPL as poss!! That is after I've finished the IMC, I know of others who had quite a lot of hours on the arrow before the CPL and like you Snigs - it definately helped them as they completed in minimum hours!!:D

Genghis the Engineer
26th Feb 2004, 05:49
It is possible to do both at once (http://www.oldsarumflyingclub.co.uk/courses.htm#imccourse) .

G

(No commercial interest, just eat lunch there occasionally so happened to know about it).