PDA

View Full Version : Which charts for CPL?

Jinkster
24th Feb 2004, 06:37
Which charts do a) the flying schools prefer, b) the CAA examiners prefer for CPL.

I prefer the Jepp VFR+GPS chart myself as used in ED-6 flight planning chart.

Many thanks in advance.

Jinkster

Flypuppy
24th Feb 2004, 08:08
Any chart that is legal in the area/country you are flying in would be the logical answer.

Although I don't know of anyone in the UK that has used anything else other than the the half mill CAA VFR charts. The CAA even have an Online Shop now (http://www.caacharts.co.uk/)

Go with what you feel most comfortable, as long as it is a valid (i.e. not out of date), legal and recognised standard aeronautical chart.

FlyingForFun
24th Feb 2004, 15:58
Any chart that is legal in the area/country you are flying in would be the logical answerI would check this with a school, first. One thing I found on my CPL course was that the school insist on following a very strict syllabus, every detail of which has to be approved by the CAA - right down to insisting on you using the "approved" method of navigation. I don't know whether this includes an "approved" type of chart or not.

FFF
--------------

Field In Sight
24th Feb 2004, 16:14
I fly out of Manchester and thus require the Northern and Southern CAA half-mil charts (i.e. 2x13.99 = 28 quid).:mad:

Whereas the Jepp chart is conveniently centred to give a nice area of operation north and south for 9.99.

I think I will get that next time.

FIS.

PS. I think you would have no problem using them for the CPL but it doesn't cost anything to ask before you buy.