PDA

View Full Version : ZRH Uniquely SNAFU'ed today.

Vansin
24th Feb 2004, 02:56
Mid morning "Khaos at Kloten!"
No take offs for almost an hour as:
1/ Rwy 16 had 13 kts tailwaind component
2/ Rwy 28 closed for snow clearing
3/ Rwy 32 has (politically) imposed departure slot limits.
4/ Rwy 34 unavaiable due to Landings Rwy 14.
I thought ATC was most professional in handling this situation, but the whole episode was chaotic to say the least.

TopBunk
24th Feb 2004, 14:57
The people of Switzerland and of Zurich deserve the problems, they are of their own making, I welcome any inconvenience they may suffer and just feel sorry for the (non Swiss) airlines who may have suffered any consequential loss.

Chomeur
24th Feb 2004, 18:03
I totally agree with the previous post. As a victim of the political interference, arrogance and downright stupidity which has resulted in the abortion called SWISS, they deserve all they get. Of course the ex Crossair types still suffering there get my full sympathy. My nom-de-plume says it all.

694c
24th Feb 2004, 23:07
My sympathy is with you Chomeur and I also fully endorse everything that Topbunk wrote.

There have actually been further non-weather related delays at Kloten over the last 2 months, as the consequence of a near collision last year involving an aircraft flying a go-around from approach to 14 and an aircraft taking off from 16. Both were following published procedures! The government then ordered the absurdly named Skyguide and Unique to increase separation to avoid a recurrence. The result has been a reduction in traffic flow of 30%.

Unique tried to conceal this information from the press but were found out last week.

I find the Swiss attempts to Anglicise their language ghoulishly amusing - they refer to 'Die Swiss' and 'Die Unique'; so far I haven't seen 'Die Skyguide' although it would be an appropriate name as they have watched more aircraft disappear from their radar screens and impact the ground with fatal results over the past 10 years than probably any other ATC organisation.

FLAMBEBOBO
24th Feb 2004, 23:13
And of course there is always 'Die Another Day'.........the swiss need to decide which side they want to be on.

Spuds McKenzie
25th Feb 2004, 00:56
694c,

You make my blood boil, mate.
Your comment re Skyguide is totally inappropriate and I take it very personal !!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

what_goes_up
25th Feb 2004, 01:11
Both were following published procedures!

Not quite right 694c. The G/A turned right towards RWY 16 ISO left. So purely pilots fault. All over the world it is adequate submitting traffic information in good weather. There are many examples where this works ( KMIA landing 9R T/O 12 even with crossing RWYs and a simple "hold short after landing").

Re your comment about skyguide and its controllers. It seems to me that you might be a pilot but have not the slightest clue about ATCO's work. On this point I follow Spuds McKenzie's comment.

DCS99
25th Feb 2004, 19:38
Is this pprune.org or xenophobes.net ??

There was a big snow-storm, people worked hard to clear the mess. End of story.

Also, in light of the *murder* of a Zurich ATCO last night, I find some comments above very insensitive.