PDA

View Full Version : Air Scandic

Harrier46
21st Feb 2004, 19:10
The whisper is no DC-10s (too expensive), A300s out of hours at the end of the summer and no replacements in the pipeline. Anybody know the truth?

Sean Dillon
22nd Feb 2004, 03:21
A300's will be retired from November 2004.

DC10 - not sure about the expense but it is clear that nothing is progressing with both putting it onto Air Cordials AOC or crew training. I would say at this late stage of the summer precedings, it ain't gonna happen!!!

WHBM
22nd Feb 2004, 04:19
Well there's at least one of the Finnair DC-10s recovered from Air Liberte sat at Helsinki looking for somewhere to go - and Finnair are of course the usual source of Air Scandic's fleet.

But it's an operationally costly aircraft to replace a 2-crew A300 with, which is why there's little market for them.

chiglet
22nd Feb 2004, 05:41
AFAIK, [Wich ain't a lot]
The Scandic [SCY] A300s are a "bit" unique. They are [so I am told] original A300/3 crew modded to 2 crew "glass cockpit", and the"problem" is that There ain't no sim.. so ALL training is "Live".
Corrections welcome.......
watp,iktch

Harrier46
22nd Feb 2004, 20:06
Seems to confirm what I have heard, but to push a bit more my information is that there is no Winter programme planned and therefore will Scandic be wound up after this summer?

Tenminutes
20th Mar 2004, 20:37
How come Air Orange Squash (sorry Cordial) are recruiting Crew Controllers. Planned expansion or are people leaving ?

Sean Dillon
20th Mar 2004, 23:02
I think they are looking for Ops/Crewing people because their present supplier (which is outsourced to a company near LGW I think?) have handed the contract back!!!!!

Probably due to certain SCY senior management - all more hassel than it's worth...!!!!!!

I would suspect with the A300's on their way out at the end of Summer 2004, the whole operation is being wound up!!! I don't think they have the work for new expensive aircraft with similar capacity and range of the A300...

bacardi walla
21st Mar 2004, 05:03
Mmmmm best leave that one alone then, even if they are paying upto £27k for crew controllers :rolleyes:

Harrier46
21st Mar 2004, 07:04
Navtech at LGW are doing the crewing for SCY at present but are ceasing this very soon due the uncertain outlook for SCY and also Flyjet recently taking over their own operations and crewing cover.

767-jumpseat
21st Mar 2004, 16:27
Air Scandic are timetabled to operate GLA, MAN, BFS and NCL to Orlando/Sanford throught the summer 2004.

They're using B757's too! Where have they got these from and who are they operating for?

All this information is on their website at www.airscandic.com

GrahamK
21st Mar 2004, 16:36
757-200s from Finnair during summer months.

xyz_pilot
21st Mar 2004, 18:10
How dificult would it be for Scandic to change over to the A300-600?

safehands
22nd Mar 2004, 07:58
How about B757/B767 mix with mid Dec 04 flying start for same client base.

A300's to retire at beginning of Nov 04......but not the crews.....need the interim period to retrain and not discard!

Hajj could be back on the cards?
:ok:

Woodpidgeon
22nd Mar 2004, 16:07
Air Scandic have traditionally used retired Finnair Capts to fly the Airbus. The institutionalised nature of the previous C.P. prevented the promotion of non Finnair trained F O's so they are left with mostly age expired Capts and LHS inexperienced F O's.

To make any changes to the fleet would require a complete overhaul of the Flight Ops department, almost starting from scratch because their only experience is with the Airbus FFCC. I believe one Finnair capt flying with them is DC10 experienced, not enough to operate at short notice! I think closing Air Scandic down is the only option they have at the moment but I may be wrong