PDA

View Full Version : CPL to JAR ATPL

Maverick
21st Feb 2004, 16:12
Dear experienced fellow pilots,

I have my CPL with IR and ME ratings (PA 23), both FAA and Indian CPL. I have 300 hrs TT including 200 PIC.

I will be proceeding for my A320 rating to TLS sometime in April. Is it imperative for me to do some bridge course before I do my type rating? If so can I do the ground training/ theory training for my frozen ATPL on my own or do I need to enroll myself in a ground school for it. If I can do it on my own, what books are recommended? I have seen a 15set book for sale online by Oxford Air training. Is this recommended and will it be satisfactory.
Please advise, as I am really concerned about the way to go about being a successful and well-learned airline pilot.

Thank you.
Maverick

Maverick
22nd Feb 2004, 13:32
come on guys...need some help here....looking upto you seniors out there....
thanks a ton

swh
22nd Feb 2004, 15:04
Mav,

I think u need to do a 6 month ground school course, and 14 exams, a JAR medical, and JAR radio

From here (http://www.nacgroundschool.com/index.php?id=421)

No quick fix available, you dont have any experience.

CONVERTING TO A CPL

To convert to a JAA Commercial Pilots Licence from a CPL or ATPL issued in another ICAO member state (i.e. USA, Canada, Brazel and nearly all countries) you need to:

Undertake a course of tuition as determined by the Head of Training of an approved JAA Ground School and sit all 9 commercial level examinations (plus 7 Instrument rating exams should you wish to attain a Instrument rating); OR
Undertake an approved groundschool course of tuition for the ATPL theoretical knowledge exams (14 of them and they cover, CPL, IR and ATPL) and Undertake flight training as required and determined by a Head of Training of an Approved CPL school; PLUS
Attain a Flight radio telephony operators certificate PLUS
Attain a Class 1 JAA Medical examination (needed for flight test, attainable only in Europe).

CONVERTING TO A JAA ATPL

Option 1

If you hold 1500hrs of which 500hrs is in FAR25 or FAR23 certified multi crew aircraft, of which you need 250hrs in any aircraft type as PIC or 100 PIC under supervision then you will need to:

Hold a medical class 1 JAA
Pass ALL 14 ATPL exams
Undertake training as recommended by a Approved schools Chief Ground Instructor (in other words you can do it quickly or over a long time, you have no requirement to sit through the 770 hr long course)
Undertake a type rating course at a JAA approved training provider
Complete a ATPL skills test with a United Kingdom CAA examiner

So in summary you can do it this way to get rid of the 770hr classroom requirement if you have the experience and do the type rating and flight test on a FAR25 or 23 type aircraft.

Option 2

If you hold 500 hrs multi crew experience on a FAR 25 /23 type, hold a type rating on that type, and will be doing your ATPL skills test on that type you are exempt from the Type rating course and doing any type of training for the ground examinations, you can simply just enter and sit them without any help, then go and do the skills test.

Option 3

Special terms for Pilots meeting the experience criteria below * have been agreed as an interim measure for the grant of the above licence until the Joint Aviation Authority have agreed appropriate new conversion terms.

*A minimum of 3,000 hours as pilot of public transport aircraft over 30,000 kgs MTWA on scheduled international or similar routes, a minimum of 1,500 hours of which must have been as Pilot-in-Command.

The restriction to fly UK registered aircraft only, may be removed when the final terms have been agreed, subject to any additional requirements being completed.

To apply for a written assessment you will require a ‘JAR-FCL 680 pack’. The form enclosed in this pack should be fully completed and returned to this office together with a fee of £77.00, your actual logbooks and your non-UK licence with the validating medical certificate. This form may be downloaded from the web in the near future.

We endeavor to complete written assessment terms within the published turnaround time of 10 working days providing all supporting documentation has been submitted. At this point you may submit application for the required written examinations.

Option 3 is rarely used.

Option 4

Now of course you may not have any of the above requirements, then you will need to complete a Ground school course, undertake the examinations, and then complete the Commercial Skills test and complete a 15hr conversion course for a Instrument rating following by the Instrument rating skills test.