PDA

View Full Version : Looking For advice

pinjoint
20th Feb 2004, 13:09
Hi people,
I have long term ambitions of one day becoming an airline pilot.I am currently at uni doing mech eng. The only routes I am aware of are sponsorship with an airline (worth a go but perhaps not worth pinning all my hopes on?) , RAF(not draw to the military) or flying school. This option would be out of the question financially, so ive been led to to believe. Any ideas on how much it would cost to go from nowt to an ATPL at a school?None of my family have much money.
Any other options you guys know of? any response appreciated.
Cheers,
pj

FlyingForFun
20th Feb 2004, 17:11
There have been a few threads on this - do a search (if the search facility is working) because some people have broken this down in a lot of detail.

Basically, if you go for the "modular" route, pass everything in close to the minimum amount of time, and go to the cheapest school for each stage of your training (including going abroad for some of it) it'll set you back about £30k.

If money is tight, there are a few banks which offer career development loans which can help you. Again, do a search for it, because it's been discussed before - it's not something I know anything about, though.

Good luck,

FFF
-----------

Harves
21st Feb 2004, 09:33
Hi Pinjoint,

Just a quick note to back up what FFF was saying. At the end of the day where there is a will there is a way not to mix my metaphores, but it is true. Although recently banks are not so keen on our type, there is still potential funding to see you through. Like a lot of us, it may not be on the first turn, but going step by step and proving your desire may take you to your dream. I promise you it is possible...it took me 15 years to get a F ATPL and no job as yet, but atleast I heve that for now.

Just go for it with your education and roll on from there with a never say die attitude.

Good luck to you and maybe see you up there some time,

Harves