PDA

View Full Version : KLM royal dutch airlines

ILOVEYWG
20th Feb 2004, 09:28
Does anybody have detailed information on this airline? I hope one day I can fly for them. You might have seen my question earlier on how me living in Canada can I obtain employment with somebody like KLM? I just want to know what their requirements are as far as flight time, if they require a 4 year degree or any languages required (obviously Dutch probably.) And for somebody who lives out of the country what is required further? Could I gain citizenship if I have family who lives in Denmark? What do you think my chances are (honestly?) Or am I just wasting my time? I'm 18 years old right now just about to begin my commercials. Is that a good age to start?

dorosenco
20th Feb 2004, 10:57
Iloveywg,

KLM has recently been acquired by Air France. The best shot at it is to join the KLM Academy. They take a lot of pilots straight out of school (200TT) on B767-300.

ILOVEYWG
21st Feb 2004, 06:39
Does anybody have any info on the KLM academy? I heard somewhere its 100 grand to get a JAA license in europe where as its just a few grand here?

B2N2
21st Feb 2004, 23:29
No Dutch required for KLM.
About 10 years ago there was a pilot strike in Australia, they all got laid off and a lot of them went to KLM. All Aussie accents on the radio for a while.
KLM school has a very strict admission policy, you go to an assesment centre for all the psycho-babble testing to be done.
They used to admit 30-50 a year with job garantee at the end of it. That's changed now, no more job garantee at the end of 100K training. If they accept a 100 now only the top ten will have a shot at KLM, the rest will have to shop around.
My best guess would be an ICAO ATP with a type-rating on a 737 or similar will put you on their list.

ILOVEYWG
22nd Feb 2004, 06:38
My best guess would be an ICAO ATP with a type-rating on a 737 or similar will put you on their list.
So KLM recognizes ICAO? I thought you had to have all your licenses in JAA over there. If they do recognize ICAO, that would save me a lot of work and money.

No Dutch required for KLM.
So you don't have to know how to speak Dutch for KLM? Somebody told me it was required. With this merger their having with Air France, does that mean now you have to know French?

LLuke
23rd Feb 2004, 00:02
Best bet is to call KLM HR dept. direct to ask for entry requirements. Alternatively you can call KLM-Cityhopper/KLM Cityhopper-UK, not sure- but I thought they still recruit indepent. Same list/carreer.

Would expect that in principle a JAA license is required and the right to live & work in the EU. Depending on background there are additional demands regarding experience.

KLM is very much fun to work for [although there have been very busy periods in the past]. But I am pretty sure that goes for many other airliners like BA, AF, LH, AC, etc.. Guess regardless where you work the 'fun' is in you.

Ciao,

Coastrider26
24th Feb 2004, 17:24
The story about KLM flight academy people hired as second officers is true. However keep in mind KLM hasn't been hiring the last years and there are still a lot of boys/girls sitting at home according my information atleast 100 of them. The school no longer is having a job garantee.

Last time I applied with KLM they required a 4 year degree and you had to be fluent in Dutch. Best bet is through a sponsorship for KLM UK I guess, since this gives you the required JAA papers as well.

Changes to get into KLM are very small vs the time the ausies got in. Around 1994 they hired people in flight schools who did their CPL on the Type they were flying i.e. 737, perhaps these time come once again. But for the next couple of years

(IMHO)I think the hiring will be minimal and only people from KLM flight academy will be getting in

trainer too 2
24th Feb 2004, 17:29
Just to get some things straight

KLM and Cityhopper are now one company from a recruitment point of view with one seniority list.
KLM does not hire Direct Entries thus the statement My best guess would be an ICAO ATP with a type-rating on a 737 or similar will put you on their list. is thus not applicable a all I am afraid.

KLM prefers Ab initio's from both the KLS and the NLS schools in the Netherlands. Due to the fast list of qualified graduates from their own KLS school they only take them on until the market changes.

KLM Cityhopper has hired and might hire DEP's on the F50 as this is an odd ball fleet from a seniority point of view.

So in short:
Get residency in the EU
Get an Abinitio course from the KLS
Wait a few years..
and you MIGHT get a job with KLM

ie not much change