PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Latest

bailey
20th Feb 2004, 08:57
Hi,
Does anyone have info on the current state of affairs at Aer Lingus? They have not hired in a long time and have recently signed their ex Pilots over to FR officially. Is there any chance of them having a requirement any time soon?

If anyone has any insight please drop a msg on here.

Thanx

Bailey

Global Pilot
20th Feb 2004, 13:30
Rumour has it from an article that appeared in an Irish Sunday broadsheet last weekend, they have let drivers go! Seems odd coming into their busy summer season. Rumour only!

Spearing Britney
20th Feb 2004, 15:28
I hear the company are indeed trying to reduce pilot numbers, blaming the demise of the 146 - the aircraft that they are phasing out but replacing with more Airbus frames. Smart huh? Bad industrial relations situation right now...

So no, sorry, no requirement forseen.

ElNino
20th Feb 2004, 22:40
"recently signed their ex Pilots over to FR officially"

- some people will believe any ol bull$hit...

bailey
21st Feb 2004, 01:56
ELnino:

Why not put some real info on here if you have the real info. Posts like yours drive me insane. If you have something you believe to be true.......put it up.

As they say......Put up or Shut up.

Bailey

Smedley
21st Feb 2004, 02:34
JANES'S had an item about Ryan Air getting additional financing.

Irish Flyer
21st Feb 2004, 02:52
Aer Lingus will not be recruiting for the forseeable future. Next Monday 46 146 pilots have been requested to turn up for redeployment as cabin crew for a few months until a position turns up for a 320/21 type rating. Obviously this has not gone done well in the ranks at all and a rebellion is on the horizon. Impending strike action is only a matter of time away. I would put my house on it that there will be no recruitment for at least 3 years yet. As for the the cadets that were let go they have no chance of being taken back. Of course when the time comes I'm sure they will be looked at through the Direct Entry scheme provided they meet the minimum requirments at the time. Until then, they will have to look else where I'm afraid. It's never comforting giving bad news but I'd be looking at other options if I were one of them or anyone else considering applying to the company.

bailey
21st Feb 2004, 03:02
Irish Flyer,

Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't sound too good for outsiders but it is worse for the 146 guys. They are really getting the short shift.

Thanks anyway,

Bailey

dreamingA380
23rd Feb 2004, 17:04
Hmmm.

Because of my previous job as an Aerospace engineer, I'm still a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society. And they have just sent me a flyer inviting me to a lecture largely about Aer Lingus.

I don’t have the flyer with me but the general gist was that after Sept 11, Aer Lingus nearly went under as they had a lot of transatlantic business that was hit. But since that time they have worked hard at setting themselves up as a lower cost airline...and have managed to reduce their expenditure by x% and have subsequently ordered a batch A320's. This flyer was hinting at Aer Lingus being a success story after the horrors of Sept 11.

All news to me.

FLYbyWIT
23rd Feb 2004, 18:28
The idea I gathered from one or two people was even though they looked for approximately 80 senior crew members to leave recently it was more of a cost saving endeavour and not a crew downsizing therefore they still need to have the staff only younger and cheaper paid..... only an opinion note.

mikekilo
24th Feb 2004, 00:36
...another issue is that the pilot pool at Aer Lingus will increase again over the next 12 months with the return of pilots from secondments (ie Ryanair) and unpaid leave.

TwoDeadDogs
24th Feb 2004, 06:43
Hello all
The 146s are almost all gone and the 737s will be following suit shortly. Seven airframes are already lined up for immediate dispatch to the lessors as soon as the new Airbuses have arrived, on a one-for-one basis. The Airbuses are scheduled to be fully delivered by end 2005, which will have the full fleet numbers back up to normal levels.
WW wants as many pilots gone as he can get, either by compulsory retirement, forced furlough( with no guarantee of a job) or voluntary resignation/retirement. That is the reality. By and by, he is also giving the ground staff and cabin crews a hard time, so no EI pilot should feel that they alone are getting the ****ty end of the stick. There will probably be no recruitment of any description for at least two more years.
regards
TDD