PDA

View Full Version : Flying into JFK

leonbrumsack
20th Feb 2004, 08:19
I think this is the right post - afterall, it's about a route and an airport, so here goes!

I have been lucky enough to get a cheap flight for my first trip to the US later this April, from LHR to JFK with AA. Quite a simple question really - does one get any views of NY/Manhattan on this route into JFK? Sorry if I appear ignorant, I just thought I'd ask though!

Thanks! :)

galaxy flyer
20th Feb 2004, 11:14
Probably not; most arrivals descend off the coast and then make their approach off the south side of Long Island. If they are landing on the 22s (to the southwest) the right side of the plane will have a distant view of NYC; if they are landing on the 31s (northwest) not much of a view from any seat that they sell tickets.

Best chance would be landings on the 13s (southeast) off the infamous Canarsie approaches. Be on the left side. Obviously, not much help; JFK is a dump only beat out by LaGuardia. But LGA at least has a good view.

If it is clear, Boston, Long Island, Cape Cod are worth seeing and either side will get view.

GF

seacue
21st Feb 2004, 01:34
Or change airlines and fly directly to IAD. You often directly overfly New York City.

Not a useful suggestion, I know, but think about it in the future.

sc

leonbrumsack
21st Feb 2004, 07:04
Moving slightly further off course, but has anybody here done a helicopter tour of NY? If so, is it recommended?

full length required
21st Feb 2004, 19:20
I have taken a helicopter tour with Liberty helicopters, they have various packages available, check out the web site at

www.libertyhelicopters.com[/URL]

Would strongly recommend it:D