PDA

View Full Version : MEP @ European Flight Training?

career girl
19th Feb 2004, 04:55
Was wondering if anyone has been to European Flight Training in Florida?

I am considering doing the JAR Multi-Engine Piston rating with them because I'd like to get the class rating on a BE76.

Is the school any good? Whats the training like?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanx

Jannik23
19th Feb 2004, 08:40
Hi Careergirl

Im at EFT at the moment and starting the MEP next week, I hope, just have to finish my CPL The MEP shouldnt take more than 3-5 days at the most to complete, and the aircrafts are in ok condition.

Jannik

Global Pilot
19th Feb 2004, 14:15
Is EFT still using the same Dutchbirds as they were in 2001? I did MIR there in Nov/Dec 2001 and they a/c were stuck together. Quite a few FTOs have old airplanes but when you are paying such inflated prices you should be flying decent a/c. All my thoughts relate to what I experienced there over 2 years ago but if the fleet hasn't been updated then this all still applies. EFT in effect lease time from Aviatior (US based school) and I recall paying approx $300/hr and handing the a/c over to an Aviator hour builder who flew the same plane for $50/hr during the night. Ok so my $300 included a JAA instructor.

As the exam date neared and about 5 of us were ready for test the biggest problem was availibility of a/c. Of the 5 BE76s they had then only one was servicable and that went tech for 3 hours on the day. Speaking of tech problems, a number of a/c had engine inflight shutdown as part of demo for MEP but won't airstart. I recall three in as many weeks while I was there. ATC were becoming very pi**ed with EFT with a/c unable to taxi after touchdown. C/girl: Ask them for the tailnumbers they currently operate and if you like I will pvt msg you the ones they used while was there.

All is all my experience at EFT was good. You have to push for high standards here, they exist but you get walked over if you just sit back and accept whatever they say. MEP training can be done in about 4-5 hours. Watch your instructors, many are US with JAA conversions, insist on getting someone with good English! Accom was always tight here so I hope they have addressed that issue and made more available.

Despite my reservations Ben and Trevor are good guys there (both ex UK CAA) and I got the job done there on time and on budget.

On a social note if you are planning any fun while you are there don't plan on anything in Fort Pierce. Most dismal place I have been to, great if you want to keep your head in the books with little distraction.

Let me know if you want those a/c regs!

GP.

career girl
20th Feb 2004, 04:51
Will find out those registrations then get back to you.

Thanx for the info guys

p.savage
21st Feb 2004, 18:22
Career girl

www.flyeft.com

Excellent site, lots of good info.

It's nice too see some fellow Northern Irelanders on PPruNe, where do you fly? I'm heading out to EFT in April for the Airline Pilot Program, from what I've heard they are a fantastic bunch, so I am really looking forward to getting stuck in again.

Cheers
Savage

MVE
24th Feb 2004, 03:45
Hi,
I completed my CPL//ME and part IR there in the last 2 months.
They still have the same arrangement with Aviator which means you get charged for the flight $265 for an hour in a Duchess and EFT get a much lower bill from Aviator.
Makes perfect business sense for them until the stroppy owner of Aviator throws his teddy out the cot and grounds all EFT flights.
It gets very embarrassing and downright disruptive for the students. This happened to me when I was in the middle of my 30 hours IR section. On the one hand EFT have a lot of power in that they are a major customer of Aviator but on the other they don't have there own fleet and are subject to Mike Cohen's tantrums.

The servicabilty is still good however I had 2 seperate days of trying 3 different aircraft before getting one working and into the air (Duchesses) but the hourbuilders (mainly US students) take second place to the students on courses so there was always an aircraft for me.

If you want to get the same rate as Aviator hour builders you have to buy 100 hours worth through Aviator and pay in advance and share the flight with another hour builder (This time is not countable under JAA/CAA so don't waste your money or bother complaining about their lower rates)

My 30 hours IR training cost me $265 an hour in the Duchess and my remainder to finsh in the UK cost me 260 pounds plus approach fees plus landing fees plus a bit for mum etc.... I think I got a good deal. I passed my IR at the first attempt and the whole thing (CPL IR ME including flight accom test fees etc etc) cost me 16000. For that I did all my hours for the IR in the Duchess (except 10 sim in the UK). Not a bad price really?

Hope that helps, Best of luck.............

joldeye
24th Feb 2004, 05:48
MVE,

Would that be $16000 or pounds( no damn pound sign on this yankee laptop) ??:confused:

MVE
26th Feb 2004, 03:51
Thats 16000 pounds.
I have the same keyboard problem!

Miektila
26th Feb 2004, 22:41
Congrats on 1st Time pass on IR Mike!!!

PK

englishal
26th Feb 2004, 22:51
My 30 hours IR training cost me $265 an hour in the Duchess
When will US organisations stop charging JAA students over the odds for an aircraft? When I go to the states I can rent a Seminole for $154 / hr, a Seneca II for $170 /hr and a Duchess for $175 / hr. Lob another $35 / hr for instrument instruction and there you go....When I did my PPL in the US, there was one price for JAA students (aircraft rental this is, not even instruction) and one price for FAA, and it really p*ssed us off.....

EA