PDA

View Full Version : Instructors over 70 - medical requirements

G_STRING
18th Feb 2004, 00:13
I know that it is possible to instruct unremunerated on just a class 2 medical, provided all other ratings are in order, but would this apply to an instructor who is just over 70 years of age?

If so, can the class 2 be carried out by an AME as per normal, or would a visit to Gatwick be required.

The person in question has been an instructor all his life until recently, and has swapped to a NPPL medical.

Alternatively, can he instruct unremunerated on the NPPL medical, or is this a totally different concept?

Any replies on this will be very eagerly awaited. Thanks

StrateandLevel
18th Feb 2004, 00:37
No age is specified so you could instruct unremunerated on a Class 2 at any age.

For a Class 1, holders aged 70 and above are required to visit Gatwick for a treadmill ECG every 2 years.

An NPPL medical is only vaild with an NPPL; the ANO prohibits any other rating being added to an NPPL so Instruction is not possible.

G_STRING
18th Feb 2004, 18:58
Strateandlevel

Thanks very much for that.

Whilst on this subject, does anybody know an active instructor over 70 years of age, and, for curiosity, anybody know the oldest instructor still going in the country?

Thanks

BEagle
18th Feb 2004, 20:55
Microlight and SLMG instruction may be undertaken on a NPPL under an ANO exemption. But not SEP as Strate and level correctly states!

StrateandLevel
19th Feb 2004, 04:51
Cliff Hubard CFI at Cardiff Wales Flying Club retired last year aged 80 after 60 years of flying- 1943 - 2003. There have been many more.

70 is a mere beginner!

lady in red
24th Feb 2004, 08:10
Some time ago there was a story in one of the magazines about a lady instructor in the USA well on in her 90's who had 45,000 hours plus and was still instructing 6 or 7 hours a day!! I believe Eric Thurston is still around and he certainly revalidated my IR over 7 years ago when around 80 years old. He may only be doing ground instructing now... any advances??

G-SEXY
25th Feb 2004, 23:06
Eric Thurston is still around!!

He is doing ground instructing only, teaching the IR on the simulator at Stapleford Flight Centre!