PDA

View Full Version : Which IR route

unknown24
17th Feb 2004, 12:10
Hello Everybody

I a little confused about the way to do my IR. I wanna end up with an JAA ME IR. So heres the dilemma.

OPTION 1:

EFT in Florida offers JAA IR now at a new price (again) its now 6625$ for US portion and 4500 pounds for the UK portion, so total is roughly 15.000$, for that you get 15 hrs in Duchess
10 hrs Sim FNPT 2
20 hrs C172

Option 2:

Ariben Aviator offers

FAA MEIR on Duchess (45 hrs) and 55 hrs hourbuilding on the Duchess after for 9.995$

Ill will then have to convert my FAA IR in UK and looked at Oxford who only charge 3800 pounds, so this option will be 17.200$ but includes 100 hrs twin.

all calulations are based on minimum requirements and does not include additional training, but what do you think, what would be the best option do you think?????

African Drunk
17th Feb 2004, 18:20
I would advise you to do all the IR training in UK. Airspace, approaches and procedures do differ from the US. Also many 15 hours conversions over run.

englishal
17th Feb 2004, 19:05
I'd say either go the full FAA route with a view to conversion, or do it in the UK - forget JAR approved IR schools in the states. This is becasue you WILL be flying to the FAA system, NOT the JAA system even though they are JAA approved. Its not the "flying by sole reference to the instruments" which will cost you extra hours during the conversion, but the different procedures between the two sides of the Atlantic.

Although OAT may offer a £3800 conversion, I was quoted £7500 at Bournemouth including the extra hours they anticipate you need. I tend not to trust prices that seem artificially low.

IF you go the FAA route, make sure you are trained by somone who knows the JAA system. For £13800 you can go from PPL to FAA CPL/IR AND JAA fATPL including conversions etc.....have a look at www.usajar.co.uk

Cheers

onehunga
17th Feb 2004, 19:41
If the search function is working then check out previous posts about Ari Ben. Am pretty sure you will find that the hour building time is "shared" with someone else and that you will only get to log half that time under JAA rules.

We almost need a sticky me thinks to cover these sorts of things. Perhaps the title could be "If it is cheap then it could be because of....."

Genghis the Engineer
17th Feb 2004, 22:23
Because of

.... Not having to pay extortionate approach fees?

.... Not having VAT included in the price

.... Appallingly badly looked after aircraft.

difficult innit.

G

onehunga
17th Feb 2004, 22:27
...or some ****** with FAA CFII ratings etc advertising on pprune and trying to rip off some poor unsuspecting newbie to subsidise their flying :)

...must learn to let go. Deep breath! Ah...

quackers
18th Feb 2004, 02:52
"All calculations are based on minimum requirements and does not include additional training". That sounds very familiar - you could almost be a school talking??
Best option? Forget the States and do your training over here - after all you wouldn't learn to drive a car in France/Germany/USA with a view to taking a driving test over here!!