PDA

View Full Version : push back and towing angle limits

rampman
17th Feb 2004, 06:07
(dont know if this is the right place but this is where most of you post and read)

i have searched the net for hours looking for the push back and towing angle limits for all aircraft but with no luck all i found was one for the A330/340 i am having big safty probs at work and no one wants to listen and there is nothing in black and white telling the push back men there max towing/pushing angle limit as they will not listen to me they think it is all a big joke but its not its a big safty isue not just with the ground staff but also with the aircraft going over limit and a chance of it cracking a M.L.G cylinder

thanks for your help in advance

RAMPMAN:ok:

woderick
17th Feb 2004, 06:42
The limits are normally painted on the U/C doors or the nose leg so you can see them when tow/pushing. If not then the operator should be able to give guidance as it's his A/C you are about to break. In 30+ years I've only seen it happen once. If all else fails if it's leaving a rubber trail you are probably overdoing it, although, in my experience it's difficult to recover at that stage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boeingbus2002
17th Feb 2004, 07:12
I believe the pins used for towing have a determined shear stress limit which when exceeded will break. These are changed regularly.

A supplier of these are "Charlatte Manutention". They have a UK operation who may be able to help you.

sky330
17th Feb 2004, 17:40
Hello rampman,

Before the push, ask the crew,should be in the Aircraft Operation manual of the airline (Limitations chapter) if there is a limit.

Now, I would expect that for the ramp guys, the limits is the red line on the NLG doors. It is unrealistic to expect from you to know the limits for every aircraft/operator on the apron.

For your info, my company (but I asuume it is manufacturer limits) are:
A330/A340 :
Nose wheel steering : max. :72°
Towing : max.65° or red marks

avoman
17th Feb 2004, 17:53
And it is in the aircraft maintenance manual, Chapter 9, Towing and Taxiing.
For example the Boeing 737-300 has 35 pages on angles, forces, equipment specifications, flat tire movements etc. All this information should be available to you if required from the aircraft operator, official channel, or the engineering provider. Indeed you should avail yourself of all this to protect yourselves as well as the precious aircraft you attend.

Flight Detent
18th Feb 2004, 08:58
Hi all,
The Boeing B737 manual specifically says that the maximum towing angle is 78 deg each way from straight ahead.

Any further than that and the torque links must be disconnected.

Cheers

rampman
18th Feb 2004, 17:16
:ok: thanx guy's for all your help and info .... i know the angle limits its just the other's in my company that do not now i now where to get it in black and white i can put my case over about health and SAFETY so much stronger i just did not know where to get the info from .

once again thank you :ok:

RAMPMAN

rampman
19th Feb 2004, 15:58
Notso Fantastic

I know there is lines and also red panels on the nose wheel door but not on all aircraft angles are easy to work out a right angle from the nose wheel is 90o so half of that is 45 so if you do not go over 45 then you know you are safe on the push

avoman
19th Feb 2004, 15:59
I beg to differ, Notso. There is more to pushback than a line on the door and relying on the shear pins. For example, 737-300 again, did you know the maximum tow force permissible is halved beyond 45 degrees? Most do not. However limits are there in the maintenance manuals, which are approved documents, which means no one may deviate from them! Approved documents apply to everyone who interacts with the aircraft, same as flight crew and engineers.
Rampman is to be commended for raising his awareness. The real culprits here may be the quality departments of the aircraft operators who fail to satisfy themselves of adequate training for their contractors.