PDA

View Full Version : Why keep the seat belt sign on so long?

Eboy
17th Feb 2004, 04:06
I'm flying a lot between Asia and the U.S., and often take a Chicago-Tokyo Narita leg. It seems to me many pilots are keeping the seat belt sign on far too long after the end of light turbulence. This happens a lot around Alaska. Turbulence ends, and the sign will stay on for a half-hour or more of smooth air. A couple of times the sign gets turned on with no perceived turbulence on my part -- I guess that is due to reported turbulence, or past experience.

I wonder how much use of the seat belt sign is due to advice from the airline's attorneys, and not a pilot's safety judgement? I think airlines that do this excessively might make more money if they don't worry about this as much, attract more customers by annoying them less, and just settle for $500 thousand (or whatever) with the very few people that get thrown to the ceiling on the rare occasion.

When it's convenient, I'll ask a pilot directly. For now, thank you for considering my questions and comments.

VFE
17th Feb 2004, 04:16
I think you've answered your own question. Reducing lawsuits is not really the issue so much as the bad publicity that would result from a personal injury. The press love that sort of thing. There's no real way of putting a financial cost on that is there?

If there's turb reported by other aircraft in the vacinity then your crew are obviously wise to keep the sign on. Clear air turbulance is often expected under certain weather systems which by definition you won't see out your window and neither will the guys up front. However, they'll will be aware of it through having access to the latest weather forecast and radio contact with other aircraft in your area, either directly on the same frequency, or via air traffic control.

On other occasions your flight deck crew may have become preoccupied with the more important task of flying the aircraft and relegated the task of removing the seatbelt sign to further the down the list of priorities...... ie; forgotten it. ;)

VFE.

alexb757
17th Feb 2004, 04:50
I agree with VFE. Safety is (or should be) the number one priority here. Sometimes the flight crew will know of upcoming CAT or be advised by others such as aircraft in the vicinty or ATC that it is going to be rough ahead. It is not just for the benefit of the passengers but also for the sake of the flight attendants especially when the aisles are full of catering trolleys. The passengers would be the FIRST to complain that they were injured as a result of any turbulence. Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways!
Also, there is the possibility of them having forgotten it is on. That is usually the case when there has been some turbulence for some time. Also, keep in mind that the turbulence sometimes is intermittent and that would mean that the light would literally be switched on and off several times every few minutes. Now that would be even more infuriating, wouldn't it? Apart from asking the pilot at the gate, you might want to ask the flight attendant why iy's on for so long.
I know when I was flying many times I hated putting it on for minor or short-lived turbulence. But where would you draw the line? Besides in most airlines, it's company policy and actually written into the respective Flight Ops Manual under customer care!

Bre901
17th Feb 2004, 06:10
IIRC, most airlines recommend that you keep your seatbelt fastened when seated.

Even a relatively loose seatbelt can prevent you from visiting the bottom part of overhead bins, so why not keep it on all the time, tightening it when the sign is on, releasing it when off ?

vitamin B
17th Feb 2004, 08:36
I am in total agreement with Bre 901. When in flight, my seat belt is always fastened looosely excepting for take off, landing and turbulance when it is fully tightened.

The only time I take it off is when I win Bingo - Seat 27K, it is your turn to use the loo.

vitamin B

Groundbased
17th Feb 2004, 16:42
Agree wholeheartedly with the last two posters. I keep my seatbelt fastened all the way, just loosen it for the cruise. It's not uncomfortable and saves nasty injury in the event of anything unexpected. I have experienced a couple of nasty bumps and read the reports of people who have been seriously injured in such events.

She doesn't like it but we also keep the child restraint on my 18 month old when flying as well. I don't believe you could keep hold of an unrestrained infant in a serious encounter.

GB

sky330
17th Feb 2004, 19:24
Another reason,

Cabin attendants are required (or they get pay cuts in the nice airline I fly for) to make annoucements everytime the 'Seat belt' signs is switched on.
So if I put it off knowing it will put it on again 1/2 h later, they do the annoncement twice waking everybody in the process during the night....

So I let it on, as I consider it more a nuisance to be wake up every now and then by the PA that to have the light on for a long time....

And if our nice americans passengers (or other 'sue everybody country' for that matter) can not sue me in the meanwhile, if one day I encounter CAT, so much the better :E

Common sense should rather be used, I agree but I don't make the rules here :(

VFE
17th Feb 2004, 20:24
Hands up those who've ever managed to sleep in economy class? http://www.blastwaves.com/motorforum/images/smiles/eusa_think.gif

VFE. :D

Bre901
18th Feb 2004, 04:08
I do ! (beancounters have us fly catlle :{ :{ :{ )

Prerequisites are :
- Night flight (min 6 hrs)
- Window seat
- If not flying AF, take along cattle class survival kit (from previous AF flight) : mask & ear plugs.
- have dinner with small bottle of wine (not more)
- when tray is gone, recline seat back, switch light off.
- close eyes & ears

=> Last time (YUL->CDG) I didn't even hear about breakfast :ok:

SLF
18th Feb 2004, 04:26
Yup, me too, economy most of the time with the occasional upgrade. Night flight, G&T in the lounge, another on the plane, a meal and I'm off!

Always been a professional sleeper :cool:

radeng
18th Feb 2004, 19:36
Eventually, though, the problem arises 'Do I ignore the seat belt sign in calm level flight, or do I have an unfortunate accident when the bladder can't manage any more?'

Got very near that on my last flight back from the US where the seat belt sign went on just before the coffee wasn't served, and stayed on for 5 hours. (First 2, definitely justified)

ACtually, observation suggests that the seat belt sign switch is actually an 'anti turbulence' switch, since switching it on frequently stops the turbulence!

simonhk
18th Feb 2004, 21:01
Sleep? in ecomomy? I fly a lot, (SLF) UK to most of Asia & Pacific, I can hardly walk after 14 hours in an economy seat, I'm 6'4".
I've never slept on an airliner...

Got upgraded to biz class once or twice, and then I didn't sleep because I wanted to make the most of it!!

Oh yes, the post...I always keep seatbelt on, just in case, and I really wish FAs didn't have to keep anouncing signs on/off...

SimonHK