PDA

View Full Version : Ground S chool

Unscheduled stopover
16th Feb 2004, 02:22
I have just checked through the results of a search on where to do ATPL ground school and was'nt surprised to hear most people singing the praises of Bristol.

The problem is that I live near Glasgow and having to travel to and pay for accomodation at Bristol even just for 4 weeks consolidation would be a pain in the arse and the pocket.

Does anybody have any recent experiences of Glasgow Nautical College, especially the correspondence course as it would suit me to go there but I would rather pass first time thank you very much.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

FlyingForFun
16th Feb 2004, 16:14
Sorry... no experience of Glasgow Nautical College.

But please don't let your distance from any Distance Learning school influence your choice. As you say, it is only for four weeks, and Bristol (and, I assume, all the other DL schools) will send you list of extremely cheap but very good accomodation in the area. Travel is very often not expensive if booked in advance, either.

With the price of each exam about to be (or has it already been?) increased, anything you'd save by going to a less suitable school that's closer to home could be wiped out even by having to do just one resit.

FFF
-------------

Send Clowns
17th Feb 2004, 01:26
I know little about Glasgow College of Nautical Studies, except that they have only 4 instructors (I applied for one of the jobs when SFT went bust). Don't really hear much about them. Ask them about class sizes, and look over their notes and compare to other schools.

To add to what FFF is saying EasyJet fly from Glasgow to Bristol (I know, I missed the flight when going for the interview and a lorry squished my car). Book early it is the cheapest way down.

I think Ryan Air now fly down here to Bournemouth from Prestwick if you want to study at either of the distance-learning schools down here (GTS and my employer, BCFT), and accomodation is again cheap.

Not sure about convenient transport to any of the others.

Unscheduled stopover
18th Feb 2004, 01:25
Thanks for the replies. It does look like Bristol would be best.