PDA

View Full Version : Flying up North.

capt stalingrad
15th Feb 2004, 14:54
Hi all.

Am very interested in hearing from anyone who has experience in flying in far north Canada.

I understand the main players in the NWT are First Air, Kenn Borek, and Air Tindi.

Realistically what are the requirements for crew. I imagine fairly high, and are there positions regularly available.

Any info or comments would be great. Cheers, CS.

Flybabe
17th Feb 2004, 22:28
Capt

First Air is not as big a player as they used to be, as they disassembled the twin otter operation. Air Tindi is a large operator, Arctic Sunwest is a good size (they are constantly building steam again), Buffalo still serves a portion of the market with the greasy 3's and Summit holds a small niche. Kenn Borek is based out of Calgary but has bases in the far north (i.e. Aklavik, Cambridge Bay, eastern Arctic).

Requirements are basically a multi-IFR with a float rating to get a job as a rampie. Unless you have ALOT of off-strip time the ramp is pretty much the only way in. That said, there are about a million 250 hour wonders wandering the streets of Yellowknife hoping that their willingness to remain in YZF without a flying job will shine favourably on them. For some it works for some it doesn't.

There are alot of other operators in smaller locations (i.e. North-Wright in Norman Wells, NT) in the northern and eastern Arctic.

Keep in mind a Canadian licence is required as well as legal right to work.

Hope that helps :O

capt stalingrad
18th Feb 2004, 11:37
Cheers, helps alot.

Have got around 1000 hrs of strip time in Vans, unfortunately work permits etc, seem to be the most difficult aspect of trying to fly in other countrys.

As to the large amount of pilots waiting for there big break in smaller remote parts of the country, it is much like Australia where I am based at the moment.

Do the companys you have mentioned have large turnovers of pilots. Looks like the flying would be unreal.

Thanks for your help, CS. :ok: