PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate difference between JAA and FAA flight training?

IrishTexanFlyer
13th Feb 2004, 23:52
Hello,

I am from Europe but currently in the US beginning a CFI rating. I am also about to begin a conversion of my FAA licenses to JAA. Beginning with the ATPL theory.

Now when people who would not be familiar with the training practices of the JAA and FAA ask why do you have to convert your licenses and why is there such a difference between becoming a pilot in the US and Europe I do not know what to tell them.

Take for example the fourteen ATPL exams required for a JAA ATPL. Now in the US you only need to take one written exam and an oral. I haven't had a look at the FAA ATPL test questions but I am sure they do not sum up all the content that is in the JAA ATPL exams.

What are your opinions guys?

Cheers,

ITF

B2N2
14th Feb 2004, 01:34
My favorite subject to get all steamed up about:mad:
In short the JAA ATPL is based on academics, the FAA ATPL is more an intro with a lot more emphasis on practical flying experience and skills.
Therefore the JAR ATPL comes closer to a degree in Aviation.
In FAA-land the next company to hire you is responsible for the rest of your training;
type training ,groundschool,sim etc etc.
A lot of the material in the JAR groundschool is type specific meaning if your next job is on something else you can start all over again in company groundschool.
I'm an "aviation-refugee", escaped from the JAR nightmare and happily zooming around in FAA regulated airspace.
Taking a year off and spending $20.000
on JAR ATP groundschool & living expenses is just ludicrous in my situation.
I escaped Europe to get somewhere in aviation without having to deal with all that JAR:mad: , not about to pay my way back in again...:suspect:

scroggs
14th Feb 2004, 16:25
The reason why is that they are two different regulatory authorities and areas, and there is no particular reason why they should do things the same way! Both systems have evolved over many years to suit the markets they serve. The American system is, like many of their ways, less regulated and bureaucratic than Europe, but then the employment system is far more risky and - until you become very senior in a major airline - less well paid than in Europe.

Neither system makes it easy to become a commercial pilot - and who thinks it should be easy? It's slightly cheaper and easier in the US, but the saving - in my opinion - isn't significant enough to give up the advantages of employment in Europe. Ask the 10,000 or more furloughed US commercial pilots where they'd rather be just now!

Scroggs

BillieBob
15th Feb 2004, 08:33
The JAA and FAA systems are training people from entirely different backgrounds for entirely different jobs in entirely different airspace. Why would it be surprising if they had entirely different approaches to training?

Neither is better or worse than the other, just different - entirely.